The Power of Influence


Recently in my Song-Writing college class my teacher posed the question, “Who has had the biggest influence as a musician in your life?”  She explained the importance of remembering these key inspirations and taking time to reflect on and thank them for their influence.  She asked several people to voluntarily share about their greatest influence.  It was a unique honor to raise my hand and tell my teacher that she was mine.



What about you?  Who has influenced you the most?

My teacher cut me off before I could continue and said, “I never taught you!  This is the first time I’ve ever been your teacher.”  True.  But I have known her for almost 10 years; I’ve been sitting under her musical leadership at church each week, watching closely.  I’ve seen her handle many different situations, every time with a smile on her face.  She is so gracious.  She always has time to hug and thank everyone.  Musically, she plays piano effortlessly.  Although I had never been her student, I learned way more from her than I ever have from a private teacher.

Influences, inspirations, role models.  These titles carry a lot of weight.  A lot of times we don’t even know if people have labeled us with these words.  We don’t know who is watching us.  Did my teacher expect me to raise my hand and acknowledge her?  No.  If she had, I am certain that she wouldn’t have asked the question.

When I was 8, I went to a summer camp and met a girl who had an extremely southern accent.  She was popular and well liked, by both the campers and the counselors.  Even though I was her peer, can you guess what happened?  I came home speaking southern.  Like, annoyingly southern.  Let me just say, I got some weird looks and laughs from friends and family!  My Sunday school teacher about died.

It can be overwhelming to realize that more likely than not, you have people looking up to you.  In 10 years, will they raise their hand and share your name?  Each move you make adds to your legacy.  Every decision you decide in front of a pair of little eyes will make an impact.  There are plenty of other people to be watched, but some have chosen you.  What type of influence are you having?

This past week I decided to have some fun and answer specific prompts in my journal.  Silly, maybe, but I’m sure one day I’ll enjoy looking back on my answers.  One of the prompts was, how do you want people to describe you?

Joyful.
Kind.
A prayer-warrior.
Always has time for everyone.          

I continued with answers.  It was intimidating!  What I want to be known for seems so far off.  I have such a long way to go!  Am I joyful?  Am I kind?  Perhaps in the eyes of someone who thinks too highly of people.  But in reality, I’m a far cry from any of my characteristic goals.  Does this discourage me?  A little.  But it is strong motivation to pick myself up and keep working at it!

What about you?  How do you want people to describe you?

I highly encourage you to think through this question.  Never believe you have “arrived” in any area.  The more you grow, the more you realize just how much farther you have to go.

What can you do TODAY to become a better influence?  To live up to your want-to-be description?

A lifetime is made up of a whole bunch of 24-hour days, repeated until you die.  There’s no launch that shoots you off when you hit adulthood and lets you coast till your last breath.  It’s a day by day, moment by moment journey.  You make decisions daily that mold and shape you.  What sort of choices are you making today?

Think about a couple of people who have influenced you, and a couple people who haven’t.  What made the difference?  What did you find worth imitating in one person’s life but not another’s?  How has your role model most strongly impacted your life?  What have you learned from them?

Consider what you have learned from others and decide whether or not you will pass on the wisdom.

“Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.” – 1 Corinthians 11:1, KJV.


I’d love to hear from you below!
Who is your greatest influence?  Why?
What good choices will you make today as you consider the influence you have on the younger generation?
How do you want people to describe you?

Comments

  1. Very good and well-written reminder. Thank you , Grace :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the blog post, Grace. As the oldest of five, I found it extremely thought-provoking. Thanks for the reminder to remember to consciously grow in God and be a good example to others. Keep writing! I find your posts encouraging and helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!