Be a Light for Christ

Witnessing: do you cringe when you hear this word?  To be perfectly honest with you, I often do!  But I felt like I should write today’s post on witnessing, so get ready to cringe the way through with me! :)  I hope and pray that you learn something in these following thoughts of mine, as I have learned from them greatly!

Witnessing is a specific call for God’s followers, and is the highest calling anyone could ever have.  Often people view Christianity as a bunch of rules and restrictions, and decide to go their own foolish ways to keep their freedom and independence.  But let me assure you, there is no higher calling than that of telling others about the great news that Jesus Christ came to die for them, and rose again and now reigns in heaven, waiting for souls to come running to Him in repentance and faith!

Witnessing is telling others about Jesus!  Few people even know the Lord, and many that claim to be Christians still detest God and refuse to listen to the Truth.

But… few people knew the Lord before Jesus’ resurrection.  But after His resurrection, Jesus sent the few followers left to go tell the world that He had rose from the dead – and it didn’t take long for the many people to hear!  Examine John 4… the famous record of the woman at the well.  When the woman at the well heard Jesus, she ran back into the city, disrupting the normal day to tell everyone to come see the Christ!

But did you ever notice that when the disciples returned from getting food, no one was following them?  They had gone into town and had not even mentioned that the Savior of the World was standing right outside the city!

The gospels tell us of many instances where the disciples just made epic fails… failures that we somehow feel are worthy for us to get kind of aggravated at?  The truth is: we are so much like the disciples!  How can we judge them, when we are just as hopeless and confused?!

When was the last time you witnessed to someone in the grocery store?   When you last went shopping, could anyone tell you were a Christian by the way you acted or spoke?  When was the last time you declared that Christ is RISEN and reigning?  The wonder and awesomeness of Christ’s resurrection has not gone down any in the past 2000 years, so why has our enthusiasm??

Where are all the zealous followers of Christ?  You can be a Christian and not be very zealous about witnessing, but is it right?  I think we all know the answer to this one!  NO!  Many people stick to the “safe” resorts of witnessing – hiding tracks places, or perhaps just praying.

Okay, now you’re probably really confused… why on earth did I just seem to have put down prayer and giving tracks?  Isn’t prayer the most effective way of witnessing?  Without a doubt, prayer is SUPER important!  It really does make a huge difference, I agree!  But (yes, there always has to be a ‘but,’ doesn’t there?) if every Christian only prayed, who would witness?  Who would be the one actually telling others?  PEOPLE HAVE TO STEP UP AND BE LIGHTS!!!!  THEY HAVE TO NOT ONLY PRAY, BUT ACT TOO!  Prayer should be our first step, but action should follow!

(Oh, and about the tracks – it’s an action, and it can be a tool in the lives of others to bring them to Christ, but we can often use it as an excuse for not using our voices and witnessing in person.  BE CAREFUL and search your heart to make sure that this isn’t the reason you pass out tracks)

Each day, people die without knowing Christ, and Satan revels in his success!  Does this make you happy?  (If it does, than somethings wrong and I need to talk to you ASAP!)  But if it doesn’t make us happy, than what are we doing to try and stop that?  WHERE ARE THE CHRISTIANS IN THEIR LIVES?  Where is the Christian in the life of the woman sitting in the waiting room at the abortion clinic?  Where is the Christian in the life of that murderer?  Where is the Christian in the life of that teenager about to commit suicide?

It really got me thinking (can you tell?)… Where am I in this lost world?  Now for some more practical ways on how you can be a brighter light:

USE YOUR VOICE.  Speak up, girl!  This is so ironic for me, because I love to talk, yet it is true that I do not often use my voice (verbally) to tell others about the Good News!   And by “using your voice,” I mean not only verbally, but also by speaking up whatever means you have!  Use social media – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. – to witness!  If you are like me and aren’t on social media, there are other options too.  I’m using this blog right now!

MENTION CHRIST.  Even so much as saying “Lord willing” can be a way to bring Christ into the conversation.

BE FRIENDLY.   Smile at others.  Greet them.  Talk with them.  Just be their friends!  You never know - a kind word or joyful smile can brighten someones day, and perhaps soften their attitude and become more open to hearing about Jesus.

BUILD FRIENDSHIPS.  I know some really sweet ladies that have taken the time to get to know me.  They have come up to me so many times just to say hi.  They are huge blessings in my life!  I have been strengthened in my spiritual walk because of them.  Build friendships with many people, saved and unsaved.  Your friendship with an unsaved person can be a light to them.  And if your friend is saved, then you can be an encouragement to them in their walk with Christ.

INVEST IN CHILDREN.  If they even are saved, they have not had very long to grow in their relationship with Christ.  Investing in these precious little people can change their lives.  I had several older girls who were my friends when I was younger, and they were blessings in my life.

PRAY.  Pray often, and pray fervently.  Pray that you can be lights to others.  Ask God to 
show you how you can witness to them.

GET INVOLVED IN A MINISTRY.  I help out with a ministry that teaches elementary-aged children the gospel; an after-school Bible club.  It is trying at times, but seeing the awe in the faces of the children as they learn about Jesus, and the humbleness as they bow before the Lord in prayer, is enough to bring me to tears!  Last year I had the opportunity to talk to a little girl about accepting Christ, and I was so overwhelmed with thankfulness as I prayed with her, that I was crying tears of joy!  Those months of sleepless nights as I thought and prayed for those children and anticipated the next club, the tears I shed over the frustrating and disobedient children, and the few hours out of my time each week were so worth it just to see a few children profess faith in Jesus Christ!  So, I encourage you, get involved with a ministry!  It doesn’t have to be with children if that is not where the Lord is calling you to get involved, but pray and ask God where He has a need for you in a ministry.  I promise it will be worth it!  Even if you don’t think it is at the time, it is worth it!

SING.  Sing with joy to the LORD, even if there are other people around.  My brother once started singing right in front of someone who had turned from Christ!  Sing out loud during church.  You never know if there is a person around you who has not trusted in Christ.  Be an example in faithfulness, joy, and love by singing!

BE A “LOUD” CHRISTIAN.  By this I mean, don’t try to hide the fact that you are a child of God!  Praise Him loudly by what you look like, say, act, and even decorate!  When an unsaved person is coming over, don’t put away your Bible – have it in a visible spot.  Don’t hide those devotional books – keep them on your night stand.  You can frame your favorite verses on the wall.  Make your things reflect your relationship with Christ!


So, I encourage you to be seeking ways to witness - always be looking for oppertunities to tell others about the Good News!  Go be a light for Christ!



Comments