September: Children's Cancer Awareness Month

Did you know that September is children’s cancer awareness month?  That’s right… I’m not making it up, and it is a real thing.  So many people are unaware of the devastation of childhood cancer, and not much thought is given to this month.  People don’t realize that childhood cancer is very real, children are being diagnosed every day, and children are dying from it every day.  It is very real.



Everyone knows what the pink ribbon stands for… stores are covered in pink, the socks of sports players are pink, pens are pink, and pretty much EVERYTHING is pink for breast cancer awareness. 

The childhood cancer awareness color is gold.  Do you ever see any gold ribbons during September?  Any gold pens?  Any gold socks?  Any stores decked out in gold.

No.

In fact, the people that do know of gold ribbons probably associate it with “supporting our troops.”  Gold’s now got a whole new meaning, and the old meaning is left in the dust.

The truth is, when you’re not directly affected by childhood cancer, you don’t really give it much thought.  But when it knocks on your door… everything changes.

What do you imagine a little 6-year-old girl doing?  I see a princess, with her tiara, dancing around with her wand and “abra cadabra”-ing everything.  I see her giggling, having tea parties with her dolls, dressing up in her princess dresses.

Do you know what 6-year-olds with cancer do?

They lay in a hospital bed, hooked up to IVs.  They play “doctor” with teddy bears, putting ports in them, because they know what a “port” is.  They know the names of medication and types of cancer; they are pros at swallowing pills.  Their conversation consists of which place on their arm they prefer getting IVs and shots it.  They know things that a lot of adults don’t even know.

Some kids dream of becoming a nurse, a fireman, a princess… do you know what kids with cancer dream?  They dream that they want to grow up.

Childhood cancer is heartbreaking.  I should know, because I am a childhood cancer survivor.

I was 6 years old when I was diagnosed with T-Cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma.  Most 6 year olds have no idea what that is.  6-year-olds that have this cancer confidently tell each person who asks, what the name of their cancer is, and they say it like it is perfectly normal; because for them, it is their life.

I went through treatment for 2 years, and I was still one of the “lucky” ones.  I had a high success rate, and we didn’t have to fear for my life.  I still fought, but there are so many other kids who could show me down.

There are children dying of cancer each day; children who never get to day dream, never get to act like a normal kid, and never get a chance to grow up.

During my treatment, I watched other kids my age fight cancer with all their strength… and die.  I know their names.  These children, with their bright smiles that could melt a heart of stone, never got to grow up.

I live to represent the thousands of children who fight, and are currently fighting, for their lives.  These kids are real warriors.  If you are sitting here, reading this now, you are probably giving little-to-no thought to the fact that you are breathing.  You probably aren’t holding your breath, scared to death that your heart will stop beating any moment.  Kids with cancer have to fight for each breath.  They have to fight for each heartbeat.

Childhood cancer is a real thing.  It is devastating, and it is a nightmare.  And so many people don't acknowledge it.  Why?!

I want to ask you a favor… would you please not neglect these kids?

I encourage you… do a little research about childhood cancer if you don’t know much about it.  Pray for these little warriors.  Proudly wear gold in their honor.  Spread awareness.  If you know of a child with cancer, write them or send them a gift.  Volunteer at Give Kids the World Village in Orlando, FL, to help give kids with cancer an once-in-a-lifetime vacation.


This month, don’t neglect these kids.  Choose to go GOLD and support these little warriors!


Comments

  1. Thank you for the reminder.
    I like your new blog background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy! This was the closest I could get to gold :)

      Delete
  2. This was such an inspiring article! How the Lord brought you through that all is so amazing to me, and I thank the Him that He did! I won't forget the childhood cancer children, I donate to St. Jude Children's hospital frequently, they are dedicated to stopping childhood cancer. Keep shining your light, and sticking up for your fellow cancer children!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Olivia! Praise the Lord for healing me and bringing me through treatment!! That's wonderful that you donate to St. Jude's to help stop childhood cancer. May the Lord bless you!

      Delete
  3. This was great!! Thank you so much for sharing your heart! Praise God for your beautiful testimony and how He made you an overcomer! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bella! Praise the Lord; I'm only an overcomer because of HIM! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow this is so powerful!!! God is truly amazing and I am grateful He brought you through your difficult times. And now you get to stand for others like you who maybe don't have the hope of Christ. That is awesome. That you for posting on my blog that this month is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. I had no idea. Feel free to share this article on my blog. :) You can post your link in the comments and I will make a special mention of it. You're right, people need to know! Go Gold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Praise the Lord, He is so wonderful!! I have this testimony only because of His faithfulness! May HE get the glory!!
      You are welcome! And I just commented on your blog with the link ;) Thank you so much for offering to make a special mention of it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!