The Power of Saying "Yes" in our Sibling Relationships

“Gracie, please play ‘Go Fish’ with me!”

   It was the umpteenth time I had heard the request, except this time I couldn’t resist.  My adorable little brother, clasping the cards in his hands, glanced up at me with his pretty, innocent blue eyes.  Reluctantly, I said “Yes.” 
   
   Agreeing to play ‘Go Fish’ with my brother taught me some very important things.  Instead of a display of frustration, I found a little boy whose face glowed with happiness as he quickly learned to play.  I heard his laugh and saw how excited he was, and I was surprised; not just at him, but at myself.

Why did I tell him “No” all those times?  I wondered.

   I didn’t realize that when I decided all those times to not play with him, I was missing out on something amazing.  Not only was I missing out on a huge opportunity to bond with my little brother, but I was also missing out on an opportunity to influence him with my words.  (Not to mention the fun we both have!)

   When I choose to play ‘Go Fish’ with my brother, I am actually making several significant statements to him.  These include:

I want to -- and enjoy -- spending time with you.

You are more important than {whatever else} I am doing.

I will always be here for you.

I love you.

   Those are some pretty important statements, aren’t they?  Who knew that that a simple “Yes” could mean so much?!

   Young people are easily influenced.  What we say and do will affect our siblings, whether or not we intend for them to.  We must be continuously thinking about the words we say and how they may impact our brothers and sisters.

   A little “Yes” and a seemingly insignificant “No”… Girls, these very words are molding our siblings into who they are!  These words are also molding their views of who we are.  (I don't know about you, but I don't want to be known as the sister who always says "No"!)

   If so much as saying “Yes” makes such a huge difference in their lives, why don’t we say “Yes” more often?  (Don’t get me wrong; there’s definitely a place for saying “No.”  But more often than not, we as sisters are guilty of not saying “Yes” enough.)

   Y – E – S.  It’s a simple, three-letter word.  I would encourage all of you sisters, to make sure this word is in your vocabulary when it comes to sibling relationships.  It speaks volumes about your priorities and influences your siblings more than you could know.



What are your thoughts on the power of our words in our siblings’ lives?

Comments

  1. Thank you for this reminder of how important it is to make sure your siblings know that you care! This is something I really struggle with. Your post was an encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this post was an encouragement to you!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this was really good, Grace! Thank you so much for writing this! So true! In the midst of my crazy schedule sometimes it can be so hard to stop what I'm doing and say yes when my sister asks me to hang out with her. Thank you for reminding me how important it is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saying "yes" definitely is important! And cherish the times with your sister -- as life goes on things change and those opportunities may go away. Cherish them while they last! :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this reminder, Grace. We really do tend to say "no" much more than we should.
    See you on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Joy! See you in a few days! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!