My Journey with Church Music // Introduction

Hey y’all!  Ever since I began piano lessons at the age of 9, music has been one of my deepest passions.  I used to think sour cream made the world go ‘round, but as my blog title change last year clearly indicated, I no longer think that way. ;)  For me, music trumps any other interest or hobby.  And truly, it is way more than just an interest or hobby… it is a burning passion of mine.  Music resonates with me in a way that nothing else does.

  
  But although music is my pride and joy and hearing the notes harmonize is motivation in and of itself, there is something – or rather, Someone – else that drives me to play.  And that is my Savior, Jesus Christ.

  The Lord was the One who gave me the gift of music, and so for Him I must commit my playing.  Bringing glory to God is my highest aspiration and our first and foremost calling as children of God; therefore, music ministry is something that is also near and dear to my heart.  Church music is a huge part of my life.  It may not seem as glamorous as performing terrifically difficult classical music or winning competitions, but I love it nonetheless.

  Writing a series on the topic of church music ministry seems a little crazy.  Playing the piano for church, doing an occasional offertory… doesn’t sound too dramatic, right?  Definitely not worth worrying about.  Or so it seems.

  I know there are some of you reading this post that are church musicians yourself.  It’s a normal part of your life as it is mine.  And it is quite possible that music ministry doesn’t faze you one bit! You don’t worry much about it.  If this is you, you’re may think this series is ridiculous.  And that’s OK with me.  Laugh if you want.  But please keep in mind that for me, it’s a struggle.  I don’t mind typical performance one bit.  I thoroughly enjoy it.  But church music?  That’s a completely different story.  It’s a big part of my life and something I have to surrender daily to the Lord. 

  This series is far less about my piano playing than about the journey God has given me and the things I have learned through the journey.  I learn new things each day about music, ministry, and having a proper outlook and attitude about service.  These are lessons I want to share with you and believe you can benefit from, whether or not you are involved in music ministry.

  To the young church musician who perhaps struggles as I do… I hope and pray you are especially uplifted by this series.  Be encouraged that you are not alone.  Come, learn and grow with me!

  To the young church musician who has it all together (I envy you, by the way)… I hope you are reminded of the great blessing of church music.  I would ask you to keep an open heart and carefully evaluate your attitude and outlook towards ministry.  Feel free to share any thoughts or encouragement in the comments for other musicians that perhaps struggle a little more.

  To the person who is debating serving in music ministry… I hope that this series will give you the boost of courage to get you going in the right direction.  Please pray about and seriously consider getting involved in music ministry.  God gave you your gift – now what are you going to do with it?

  To the person who is completely unmusical… please stick around!  I think that if you keep a very open mind, you will learn many things that you can apply to your own life and talents.


  Here are several topics I will attempt to cover in this series…

> Combating fear
> Preparing for ministry through prayer
> Accepting grace when we make mistakes
> A Q+A post about music (or anything else you wish me to elaborate on)
> …and much more!

  This series will be on a planned schedule for Fridays.  I can’t wait to share more about my musical journey with everyone and the things I’ve learned through it!  As always, feel free to comment below with your thoughts.  They make my day!

(*Note: by "church music" or "music ministry," I mean any role of serving at church in a way that involves music, whether that is accompanying congregational singing, playing offertories, leading a children's choir, heading up small group specials, or something to that effect.)


I’d love to know…

Are you a church musician?  If so or if not, how are you seeking to use the unique gifts God has given you?
What is something you would love to see discussed in this series?
Do you have any questions about music ministry that you would like me to answer below, in a separate post, or in the Q+A?

Comments

  1. Yes, I suppose you could call me a church musician. I play violin in our small orchestra, and I play the opening song on Sundays. I also fill in on the piano when the main pianist is gone. I really enjoy playing music, and playing at church is amazing. It's so cool to see how God uses music for His glory!
    I'm excited to read this series, although I can't think of anything else for you to cover, other than what you already have mentioned. I also can't think of any questions... sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic, Leona! I am glad you can serve your church in that way.

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm so excited for this series. I'm not necessarily involved in much music at our church, but I'm sure I'll still be able to learn a lot from this from just being a musician in general. And since I'm hoping to become more musically involved soon because... I'm finished with school by the end of this week!!! :D
    I'll probably think of more questions along the way in this series, but for now, my question is this: what's the biggest struggle for you as a musician involved in the church?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're excited, Grace! Congratulations on *almost* finishing school... you're SO CLOSE!! I know you've got to be thrilled. :) And then on into the next season in life! Can't wait to see what God has in store for you! <3
      That's a great question! One I will have to think about. ;) I will definitely add it to the Q+A post. Feel free to ask more as you think of them throughout this series.

      Delete
  3. This is such an awesome post! I've been so inspired! I've been considering joining the worship team at my Youth Group, and I think this series will help me if I decide to join. Something I think should be mentioned is how to not be prideful when people say you were good. I don't have any questions now, but just know I will be back to read more! ��

    https://glorifychrist.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      Thank you so much for reading! I am super thrilled to hear that you are planning on reading through this series! I hope and pray it will be beneficial to you. God's blessings on you in whatever way He leads you to serve with your gift!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!