My Journey with Church Music // When You Want a Different Gift

I have other gifts, but they’re all hidden under constant piano responsibilities.
It seems like playing the piano is the only thing people want me for.
Sometimes I’d simply rather be asked to sing in a group than accompany it.


  Have you ever identified with any of the above thoughts?  I sure have.  They are things I ponder constantly, especially as my music schedule builds up time and time again.  They are complaints I utter in my heart and head without even realizing it.  Those thoughts fly swiftly through my head the second I am handed yet another piece of piano music to learn for church.

  Recently a church friend came up to me while I was listening to a small vocal ensemble rehearse.  I sat quietly, hands folded, watching the vocalists and humming the song along with them.  My friend sat down a chair down from me, and bluntly asked, “Why are you sad?”

  “Uh, I’m not,” I replied, looking confused.

  “Yes, you are.  You look sad,” she insisted.

  “Well then, you’re going to have to tell me why exactly I’m sad, because I myself don’t know!” I challenged her.

  “You’re sad because you’re asked to play the piano for so many groups, and sometimes you’d rather be asked to sing,” she told me without hesitation.

  I bit my lip and stared at her.  Who on earth had she been talking to?!  She had hit the nail smack dab on the head.


  Do you ever have times when you feel that those around you only want you for one specific thing?  In my case, that would be my piano abilities.  It doesn’t matter that I play 5 other instruments and sing alto; people want me on the piano bench.

  If you feel this way about something in your life, let me give you a couple things to think about.  They are things I have had to think about, too.


Focus on what God has given you.

  I’ve always wanted to be able to sing.  And I don’t just mean sing a little; I mean like, have an absolutely jaw-dropping voice.  Unfortunately, this dream has yet to become true. ;)  But have I let go of it?

  I have had to realize that despite my love and desire to sing, it’s not the first and foremost gift God has given me.  I’d go so far as to say that singing is probably not really even a “talent” of mine at all.  I'll let my close friends and family judge on that. :)

  It is our job to use what God has given us, not to force our own desires into the equation.  If God wants me to sing, He’ll give me opportunities to sing.  That’s plain and simple.  I don’t have to wedge and squeeze and pry my way through a door I wasn’t meant to walk through.  I simply have to be faithful in the things He has called me to do.

  You can pursue different paths, but if God closes the door, you have to be willing to let go and move on.  Don’t cling to what wasn’t meant to be.  It is you duty to be faithful to focus on what God has already made apparent for you to do.


It is an honor to serve God in ANY capacity.

  We should be more than happy to serve God in any capacity He has provided.  What right have we to grumble and complain and desire something else?  Jump up with joy and praise God that He has given YOU a special job to do, whether it’s something you want to do or not.

  Learn to view service as an honor and privilege.  It will do wonders for your attitude.


It’s about God.

  The bottom line is, serving God is not about you.  It’s not about your wants and wishes.  It’s 100% about the Lord and His glory.  If you’re struggling with ungratefulness for where God has put you, it’s time to get your eyes off of yourself and back on God.

  I think that God withholds certain gifts from certain people on purpose.  Actually, I believe that almost everyone has a “dream ability” they’d like to have, but God has not gifted them with.  Why?  It’s God’s way of keeping us humble.  If we had everything, we would get too puffed up and prideful.


I’d love to know...

Have you ever wanted a gift so badly that you wanted to neglect the ones you already had?  What did you do?
What it your life keeps you humble when it comes to your gifts?

Comments

  1. I've never played any instrument for a church (or anyone except family really!), but I'm enjoying reading this posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I am so happy to hear that you are still enjoying these posts, although you aren't doing church music. My goal was to make this series applicable or encouraging in some way for everyone, so I greatly appreciate the feedback! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. Hello, Grace!

    This is a great post! I enjoyed that you shared from a personal experience. It's gotten me to think, a lot.

    There's never been a time where I wanted a gift badly, but I don't even know what mine's are. It's something I'm going to start praying about.

    Thank you so much for this encouragement! :)

    ~ Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that, Hope! And yes, I would definitely encourage you to pray about what gift(s) God has gifted you with! Instead of worrying and trying to "figure out" what gift you have, pray about it, and give your very best at everything you do. God will show you in His time!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!