Productivity // Morning Habits for a Productive Day

Hey y’all!  One big key to productivity is to start your mornings off right.  How you handle your mornings sets the tone for the whole day.  If you start with a great launch, you’ll have a lot of momentum to fuel the rest of your day.  That’s why it’s especially important to create some good morning habits!  Here are a couple to get you started.

Start Early.

Get up and get at ‘em!  You have lots to do and there’s no time for fooling around!  I know that for me personally, I feel very sluggish and unmotivated if I sleep in.  Start your week days at a good, early time, and leave your sleeping in till Saturday.  On mornings I go to school (college classes), I rise at 6.


Have a Structured Morning Routine.

I never realized the amazing benefits that routines have until I began my own at the beginning of this year.  Like I said above, I wake up at 6.  Because I leave the house at 7, I have a pretty structured routine for the hour.  I’d love to share that routine with you in a future post.  But basically, my routine includes my “wake up time” (time I lay in bed to let myself wake up a bit before actually starting the day), showering, breakfast, devotions, and more.  I would highly encourage you to create your own morning routine!


Start With God, but Be Intentional.

If I could, I would probably literally spend my whole mornings studying my Bible, reading devotionals, praying, etc.  Once I get started, it can be difficult to stop!  My solution is to have a very intentional plan with my devotions.  Know ahead of time what you’re going to study.  Have your tools and supplies ready.  Choose to make the most out of your dedicated time with God.

> Check out this post for some ideas on what to do in your devotional time.



Eat a Healthy Breakfast.

I am not a breakfast person, and a lot of foods just sit wrong on my stomach in the morning.  However, I still try to eat a good, filling breakfast before I head out the door on school mornings.  I honestly think having a good breakfast helps me focus better and have more energy.  

If you struggle with breakfast like I do, you don’t even necessarily have to have “traditional” breakfast foods like eggs, oatmeal, and cereal.  I’ve eaten dinner leftovers many a time.  One week we had a whole bag of leftover hamburgers we had grilled, and I was in heaven!  You might also try smoothies, nuts, yogurt, or fruit.

Resources:
Cooking for One: Breakfast Addition from the blog From Allison.



Dress Up.

You’re a lady, so embrace your femininity!  Go ahead and wear jewelry or do your hair.  Dress in something modest and cute that you feel awesome in.  You’ll be more motivated to get things done when you’re dressed for success!

When I took the ACT last year, I actually wore a dress and jewelry and did my hair.  Even just doing that made me feel put-together and ready to conquer the world.  There’s something to be said about wearing nice clothing when you’re doing something important – it really can help you feel more confident, organized, and motivated.  Wearing jeans and a comfy sweatshirt may be comfortable, but it is more likely to make you want to stay in bed all day!



Limit the Electronics.

Don’t reach for your electronics in the mornings.  If you’re anything like me, you’re bound to get sidetracked looking on Pinterest or texting friends.  Set a time in the late morning or afternoon, and try to keep your phone away until then.


Create an “Energy” Playlist.


Create a music playlist of some of your favorite fun/energetic songs, and play this while you get ready in the morning!  It’ll get you pumped for the day.  My current “energy” playlist consists of movie themes (think Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Wars, Disney, etc.), some Piano Guys stuff, and a peppier hymn arrangement or two.


I’d love to hear from you below!  Which point resonated with you?  What does a typical morning in your life look like?  What others topics would you like to be covered in this “series” on productivity?


To see more on the topic of productivity, click the links below --
Productivity // 3 Ways to Have a Productive Summer
Productivity // What About Saturdays?
Productivity // 6 Tips for Having a More Productive Day
Productivity // The Backwards To-Do List

Comments

  1. These are great tips! I really want to have a better morning routine and get up earlier, but currently o don’t.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this encourages you to get into a morning routine, Laura! I can't believe I waited this long to create one myself!

      Delete
  2. This is a good topic! I currently wake up at 6 every morning. As I'm getting ready, I listen to hymns to get my day strated out right, and for some motivation to get out of bed. Then I pray for half an hour, and have devotions for half an hour. Then I start school. So yeah, that's my morning ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome! I enjoy listening to hymns/sacred music on my way to school in the mornings. I think praising God through music as a part of our devotional/daily time with God is something that a lot of people don't think about.

      Delete
  3. Awesome post Grace! Thanks for writing. :D <3
    Rosy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!