Your Personality is Not a Cop-Out

Have you ever heard of the Myers Brigg personality test?  If you haven’t taken the test yourself, you’re probably at least somewhat familiar with the concept.  If you’ve taken the test, you were given a really weird group of letters like “INTJ.”  These groups identify your personality, and each comes with a specific title.  For example, I am an ISTJ, otherwise known as the “logistician.”

  Finding out your personality through Myers Briggs is quick and fun, and reading the results can be entertaining.  You are given some insights and explanations of your personality type, and you can read several pages of interesting information that should, to an extent, accurately describe your personality.

  As an ISTJ, here were some of my results…
- I share a personality with George Washington.
- I am a 51% introvert and 49% extrovert; also known as an “ambivert.” :)
- According to the positive character trait list, I am responsible, strong-willed, dutiful, practical, and I create and enforce order.
- According to the negative character trait list, I am stubborn, insensitive, always by the book, and judgmental.

  There are, of course, many things in the results that my personality does not agree with, but overall, ISTJ fits my personality the best of all the possible results.

  Sound fun?  It is!  However, I’ve noticed a major drawback: some people take it to an extreme.  I know people who are so “into” the whole Myers Brigg thing that they find their identity in it; even Christians.  I’m not joking.


  Myers Brigg personality or no, we often identify ourselves and others as introverts or extroverts.  These words can say a lot about a person.  We recognize that introverts tend to struggle more socially and need alone time to recharge, while extroverts are energized by being around others.  Now, there’s nothing wrong with identifying as either an introvert or an extrovert, but problems arise when we use that identity for excuses.

  I’ve seen people be anti-social, standoffish, offensive, and unreasonable, all in the name of their personality.  “I’m an introvert; I can’t just walk up to people and say hi,” someone might argue.  People will use their identification as an introvert or extrovert to excuse their behavior.  Some people will even argue for another’s case by referencing that person’s personality.

  Are there differences between introverts and extroverts?  For sure!  Of course, we must give grace to others while recognizing the unique personality quirks God has gifted them with.  Wouldn’t it be an awful world with only one or the other?!  We have such a creative God, to give us diversity in personality!

  My point is, many people use their personality as an excuse to hide behind.  However, let me ask you this: did God write a separate Bible for introverts and extroverts?  Do some sections of Scripture only apply to introverts, while others only apply to extroverts?  No!

“All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.” – 2 Timothy 3:16-17, KJV.

  Every bit of Scripture is applicable to every life.  While the specifics of that application will look different for different people, every principle remains the same and is relevant to our lives.

  The more I think about and ponder life, the more I realize how much of a priority relationships should be.  This is something that has been weighing on my heart for a while now, and I am very passionate about it.  Peoples’ souls are the only thing on this earth with eternal value, aside from the absolutely true, unchanging Word of God.  This is why I have such a hard time when people make excuses for being rude, unfriendly, and unwilling to reach out.

“Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.” – Hebrews 10:25, KJV.

“As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.” – 1 Peter 4:10, KJV.

“And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as we do toward you:” – 1 Thessalonians 3:12, KJV.

“For you were called to freedom, brothers.  Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.” – Galatians 5:13, ESV.

  No matter your personality, I firmly believe that we are all called to have community with other believers and share the love of Christ with each person we come into contact with.  No, you don’t have to be best friends with every person on the planet, but if you see a lonely girl sitting by herself and you don’t have a legitimate reason, you should be willing to go up to her.

  Ha!  Easier said than done, Grace.  You don’t know me!  I’m the bottom of the introverted barrel, some might argue.

  But I’m such an extrovert – I can’t leave my group to go talk to her!  I need to be around lots of people, others may say. 

  Introvert or extrovert, I believe that God requires the same amount of effort out of you that He requires of all His children: 100%. 

  From INFPs to ESTJs, we are all commissioned by Christ to be His hands and feet to the world.  This will look different for different people, but the command remains the same.  The great commission is for EVERY follower of Jesus Christ.  You should always be willing for God to use you in whatever way He sees fit, even if it is challenging.  Uncomfortable?  Maybe.  Awkward?  At times.  Difficult?  You bet.  But we’re called, and we must obey.

  So please, friend, evaluate your life.  Are you using your personality as a cop-out, or are you serving Christ and others, no matter the cost?

  And the next time you see the lonely girl sitting by herself… would you push aside your excuses and personal comfort and willingly reach out?


I’d love to hear below!
What is your personality type?
What are some of the struggles of your personality, and how can you work to overcome those?
In what ways are you hesitant when it comes to investing in people, and how can you push yourself out of your comfort zone to reach out to others?

Comments

  1. I'm am introvert and I struggle with what to say to people. Is there ways that can help me??? - Kiara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The struggle is real, Kiara - you're not alone! I like having a couple good conversation starters in my back pocket. "Hey, how are you?" is always a great one to start with. Even if it doesn't start a conversation, you can always say it in passing, and it lets people know you're thinking of them. I say it everywhere; the church bathroom, choir practice, my English class... xD
      Don't worry too much about the right words - just be genuine! God will help you. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm an ISTJ (100% introvert.) While that has made it more difficult for me to form relationships with others, I have learned not to use that as an excuse. The value of every person is more than I can imagine. I cherish the friendships I have. Reaching out and giving to others helps me to grow in my relationship with Christ. This, in turn, helps others to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the first ISTJ I think I've met! :) What you said is very true! Thank you for sharing, Rachel!

      Delete
  3. I am an ISFP. Basically an introvert that feels all the feels ;). For me, I struggle most with being afraid to reach out to people that I have started to get to know, but don't know them very well yet. I struggle with what they may think of me, but I try to combat that with who I am in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Using truth to combat fear is a great strategy!

      Delete
  4. I also struggle with being honest with people. Sometimes I make things up because I don't have anything interesting to say to people.♥️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a way that can help me the be honest withpeople without having to make things up????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, always seek to speak the truth -- it's much better to not say anything than to be dishonest. :) I would encourage you to reach out of your comfort zone and try new things! Think of it as living a full + colorful life. The more things you try, the more things you will have in common with people, and the broader and more detailed your conversations can be.
      Also, don't feel pressured to always say the "right" or "cool" or "interesting" things. I've said a lot of things I shouldn't have in the past, just because I wanted to sound cool or interesting or whatever. I always regretted it. Better to have word quality than word quantity! :)

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry. I wasn't being honest with you. Will you forgive me??? - Kiara

      Delete
    3. Of course, Kiara. Thank you for commenting. God bless!

      Delete
  6. Thank you! - Kiara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!