Thoughts on Investing in People

My brother and I got into a good conversation after class the other day, sparked by something my teacher mentioned and then prompted directly afterward by a completely unrelated Facebook post.

  Lately God has been teaching me so much about people in general.  It’s very eye-opening to realize that aside from the Scripture, the only things on earth with eternal value are peoples’ souls.  That’s it.

  The world is so focused on ME ME ME.  Popularity, success, money, feelings, decisions… it all centers around person: ME.  Yet God’s Word paints an altogether different picture.

  How much did Christ do for Himself?  His life was the epitome of absolute selflessness.  He didn’t cater to fleshly temptations.  He poured out His life in beautiful sacrifice, speaking love till His final breath.  On the cross, He cried out and asked God to forgive those that nailed Him there.  Who nailed Him there?  Grace did.  And because of His sacrificial love, she is safe in His embrace and will one day spend eternity praising His name.  (Any other musicians out there that CANNOT WAIT to join the heavenly chorus?!)

  Look around you.  What is worthwhile?  So much is vanity.  But here you are, surrounded by billions of people who will one day come face to face with God – either as their Savior, or as their Judge. 

  Souls aren’t something to mess around with.  They are of eternal value.  We as God’s children are commanded to go forth and make disciples.  We are called to love.  No matter the person, I believe you should ALWAYS invest.  People are worth your time, because souls matter for eternity.

  I took the conversation home to my mom, and she offered this (I’m paraphrasing): “We’re so eager to send missionaries out to minister to lost souls all around the world.  Yet many of us won’t even talk to our neighbors!”  There are so many people who see others they dislike and won’t talk to them or have anything to do with them.  Why?  Annoying people have souls, too!

  This is a rebuke to me.  I’ve always struggled with walking up to people and starting conversations.  If you ever see me sitting alone, I’m probably in a mental battle, trying to get up enough courage to go talk to someone.  I’m far from perfect in this area, but by God’s grace, He’s not done working on me!  I’m overwhelmed with how much forgiveness and love Christ has extended for me and continues to extend on a daily basis.  God’s grace gives and gives and gives, yet it always remains full.  (My dad said this and my first thought was: it’s like renewable energy!)

  No, you don’t have to be best friends with everyone.  How much time and energy with everyone.  How much time and energy you spend on a person will vary.  But souls are always worth it.  That’s the bottom line, and there’s simply no excuse.  Desperate souls are all around you.  As the body of Christ, souls should be of utmost importance to us.  They matter for eternity.

“He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me?  Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Loves thou me?  And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee.  Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.”  John 21:17, KJV.

Comments

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!