Prayer Routines

Hey y’all!  Recently I came across a chart of prayer prompts on Pinterest, and it inspired me to make my own prayer routine!  These prayer routines are designed to easily help you remember to pray consistently each day for different things.  The idea is: each day when you’re doing routine things (brushing teeth, showering, making your bed, etc.), attach a prayer request to each thing and pray for that request whenever you get to that part of your routine!

A prayer routine really is a good idea, and I actually already had my own prayer routine before I saw an example!  That’s the awesome thing about prayer routines: they’re so easy to follow that sometimes you do them without thinking! :)

Does all of that make sense?  If it doesn’t yet, just keep reading :) 

Now I want you to grab your prayer journal.  If you don’t have one, just use a piece of paper or two.  You’re going to make your own prayer routine!
On the left side of your paper, list all of your daily routines.  That list might (and should!) include: showering, making your bed, getting dressed, brushing your hair, and brushing your teeth.  Also write down other little snippets of time or little situations you may encounter: when you’re stopped at a stoplight, when you’re stuck in traffic, walking to the mailbox, when you pass a fire station, etc.
Now create a column next to the one you just wrote.  Make a list of things you want to pray for.  Your list could include: national leaders, cancer patients, persecuted Christians, orphans, missionaries, and your pastor.  You could also add a few personal requests to the list, like for a specific missionary or ministry, or for someone in your life who needs prayer.
Now, flip the page and create your routine!  Attach each of your daily routines with a prayer request.
TIP!  Some requests just go naturally with the specific routine.  For example, I would probably choose to pray for cancer patients while I’m brushing my hair, since a lot of cancer patients lose their hair due to chemotherapy.
Here’s a sample list to give you some ideas:

Showering -- pray for orphans
Getting dressed -- ask to be clothed in the Armor of God
Brushing your hair -- pray for cancer patients
Brushing your teeth -- pray for missionaries
When you see an American Flag -- pray for our country
When you hear an ambulance -- pray for safety/healing
At meals -- pray for the hungry
Passing a church -- pray for your pastor

See?  There are endless possibilities!  Just create a routine that works best for YOU.  When you’re done with that routine, copy it out really nicely by hand or on a computer document, and then post it up on your bedroom door or someplace where you can see it often.

Do you have a prayer routine?
What things are on your “daily routines/situations” and your “things to pray for” lists?
How do you remind yourself to pray?


Thanks so much for reading!  I can’ wait to hear your thoughts and comments on prayer routines!! :)

Comments

  1. This is a great idea! And I love routines/schedules, so I'm going to have to set one of these up for myself! :) I did this when I was younger but then stopped after awhile, so I really need to get back into it! Thanks for that reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, these routines are perfect for schedule/list makers!
      ;) That's awesome you did one when you were younger!!

      Delete
  2. I have a prayer routine that I do every day during my shower!! I pray for every thing, my family, each of my friends, missionaries, abortion issues, unsaved people, cancer victims, persecuted Christians, public servants, and other things too!!! It usually takes me about 30-45 minutes, but I do half during my shower and half during my teeth brushing routine! Brushing my teeth takes 20 minutes since I have braces, LOL!

    I enjoyed this post, SCG!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an awesome routine to have, Olivia!! I'm glad you enjoyed this post!
      Haha I totally get ya, I have braces too ;) I only have my top row though, so mine doesn't take quite as long. They still do take a while though ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!