6 Ways to Invest in Younger Sisters

As I was scanning through my ever-running list of blog post ideas, I chose the topic of sibling relationships.  It’s a topic I’ve been meaning to write on for quite a while.  As a sister to 6, and being neither the oldest nor the youngest of the bunch, I have at least a little bit of experience in this area.  No, I don’t know everything there is to know about sibling relationships, and I certainly am not the perfect sister!  But God has given me some experience in the area of sibling relationships, and I think I’ve learned a couple things ;)

Today’s post, specifically, focuses in on our relationship with our younger sisters.  I have two, although one is still very young, so these points mostly relate with my older younger sister, who is a couple years younger than I am. ;)

1 – Pray with them.
About a year and a half ago, my next-younger sister and I began praying together regularly right before bed, although we have since discontinued that habit (which I should like to revive again soon).  It was during this period of time that my sister accepted Christ as her Savior.  Also during our prayer time, I was able to recognize just how compassionate her heart is.  She has always had this special compassion for missionaries, and it was sweet seeing that more clearly by merely listening to her prayers.  You can learn a lot and influence your sisters a TON by praying with them.  It can be a little awkward at first, having your sister listen to your prayers (I am not as comfortable praying in front of others because my relationship with God is so personal), but praying together has so many amazing results, benefits, and joys.

2 – Mentor them.
Although the first implication of the word “mentor” is to direct in spiritual matters, I also would like to encourage you to think outside the box for a moment and broaden your view of mentorship.  Mentorship plays a part in everything you do.  I have a gift for music and a love for children, so for me personally, I use those gifts to teach my sister (and younger brothers) piano.  And while I’m teaching, I can mentor too, and so can you.  Yes, handle it professionally by all means (try to be fair and kind to your siblings as you would to others), but make it personal.  Use it to spur your siblings on in their spiritual walk.  Maybe your area of expertise isn’t in music or math.  Maybe it’s in writing, baking, horseback-riding, photography, cosmetology, Bible memory, calligraphy, or web design.  Whatever your unique niche is, use it!  Your sister will probably be thrilled to have the one-on-one time with you, too.

3 – {Teach them to} do their hair.
Since you aren’t me and your sister is not my sister, you probably can ignore the parenthesis ;)  Your sister might be overjoyed for you to do their hair for them.  There is something royal in someone prettying your hair up for you.  But if your sister is like my sister and despises hair-dos from the big sis, don’t push it.  Too often, I am guilty of just pushing and pushing my sisters (yes, the younger one, too!) to let me do their hair, just because I want to.  But in all honesty, maybe the best thing we can do for a sister like mine is to teach them how to do their own hair.  Teach them how to brush their hair correctly (ahem… sister, please comb the ends of your hair until the snarls are GONE), how to put their hair up in ponytail, and how to French braid.  Maybe even let them experiment on YOUR hair for once *gasps* instead of it always being the other way around. :)

4 – Plan for impromptu fun times.
One day last year found me and my sis home alone.  She came to me and asked permission to have chocolate milk, and I got an idea.  I whipped up a couple waffles while she prepared our chocolate milk, and we trooped to her bedroom and had a picnic on her floor.  We took a selfie to document the occasion.  Perfect!

5 – Give them little gifts.
During my jewelry-making-obsession days, I would give my sister trial necklaces.  You’d probably be surprised at how much little itty-bitty gifts would mean to your sisters.  They don’t have to be expensive; they don’t even have to cost anything if you’re creative!  A simple way to find little free gifts for your sisters is just by going through your stuff!  My sister admired my card-making, so I have given her the freedom to use most of my supplies.  Maybe you will come across a good book you read years ago, a bracelet you loved but no longer wear, a cute top that is too small for you, or something of that sort while you go through your things.  Those would make perfect little gifts!  Just make sure it’s genuine and thoughtful.  Obviously, don’t give her loads of junk.

6 – Include them.
Oftentimes, our sisters just simply want to be included!  Have you ever had a friend over and your little sister bugs you two the ENTIRE TIME to play something with her?  I see your understanding nods ;)  As crazy as this may sound… give in and play a game with her.  You don’t have to entertain her the whole time, but you and your friend can probably spare 5 minutes to play a game of UNO with her.


The topic of investing in your siblings is a big one, and one you as a sister should take very seriously.  I couldn’t possibly cover everything in just this one post, so I’d like to continue the discussion down below in the comments.  Please comment and let me know…

Do you have a younger sister?  If so, what have you learned in that relationship?
How do you personally invest in your sister(s)?
Do you have any questions on sibling relationships you’d like to see possibly discussed in a later post?

Comments

  1. This was an excellent post, Grace! Thank you so much for sharing these valuable suggestions for investing in our younger siblings. :) You have lots of wisdom in what you shared.
    Although we're twins, being born five minutes before my sister does make me the oldest xD Over the years Kenzie and I have been intentional to set aside time to spend together, maybe it's watching TV or going to the mall or just driving around for fun :) Sometimes in a crazy fast-paced world we do need to be intentional about our relationships!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bella! I may have a lot of experience, but I'm still working on sibling relationships every day :)
      That is great that you and Kenzie are purposefully intentional about your relationship together! Keep it up!

      Delete
  2. This was such an encouraging post!! Thank you! I have 3 little sisters, and I am still learning so much with our relationships! Each relationship with each sister is very different. I've learned that praying with them, and spending time one on one is very helpful!! :) Great post!! I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great thoughts, Anna! God has given you a lot of experience in being a big sister, too! ;)

      Delete
  3. These are some great ideas! I have two little sisters with one on the way, and I'm working on including them more. I've learned that sacrificing my own desires has a lot to do with how our relationship is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Definitely, sacrificing our own desires and being selfless is a big key to successful sibling relationships! I've had to learn and pray lately that God would make me a professional foot-washer (a servant by choice, like Jesus), because I've seen a lot of selfishness in my life. That has to be weeded out before true growth can take place, especially in my relationships with my siblings.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!