Some Thoughts for Young Ladies...


Hey girls!  Today I would like to share with you some random bits of truth and advice and food for thought for young ladies.  These are just some things that I have realized are wise and helpful for girls to learn and think about.  This list is not complete by any means, and I’m not always consistent in following this advice, either.  This list is just to inspire you (and I!) to think about some of the things we should be doing as Christian young ladies. 


 Savor the teen years.  They are full of potential, growth, and so many opportunities!  Don’t waist these years.  They will be gone before you know it.

 Don’t go boy-crazy.  Becoming obsessed with guys is not only unhealthy and ungodly, but will cause nothing but heartache.  And do you want to know a secret?  The guys that are truly godly and worth waiting for will be attracted to a meek and quiet spirit.  They won’t be attracted to boy-crazy girls.

 Learn to write letters.  And I don’t mean the 3-sentence thank-you notes that your mom makes you send!  Learn to write thoughtful, hand-written letters.  If you have a faraway relative, that’s a good place to start.  Pen-pals are also a blast to have!

 Work on your handwriting and cursive.  Handwritten letters and excellent penmanship go hand-in-hand!

 Put your phone away.  Face-to-face conversations are meant to be face-to-face, not face-to-phone.  Give people respect when they are talking to you.

 Keep everything open with your mom.  She should be your best friend.  You should be comfortable talking to her about the things on your heart, and she should trust that you aren’t hiding anything.  Learn from your mother as well.  Ask her for advice.  You won’t always be able to run to your mother for help and advice.  Learn now.  She has much wisdom to share if you will just take the time to ask, listen, and learn.  Spend lots of time with her.

On an afternoon trip with my mom to Toccoa Falls last year.
Isn't she so beautiful??


 Sing.  Even if you think you sound terrible, do it anyway.  Decide to enjoy singing instead of despise it.

 Learn about Biblical womanhood.  Study God’s Word and read good books.  Choose to align your view of womanhood with God’s view.  I have found Girl Defined to be an extremely helpful resource in discovering and understanding the depths of God’s incredible and radical design for us as women.

 Have a go-to outfit.  This outfit should be completely modest, feminine, and simple.  Up until recently, my go-to outfit was a soft floral shirt, a black midi skirt, white flats, and a necklace my grandma gave me.  If I wanted to change it up, I’d do something different with my hair, but the idea is to keep this outfit as simple and fuss-free as possible.  Try to make sure this outfit is always clean and ready to wear.  It’s great for those early Sunday mornings when you don’t have time to throw something new together!

 Learn an instrument.  Most adults regret not learning or sticking with an instrument when they were younger.  Choose an instrument you like, and learn to play it.  You don’t even have to take lessons; with some creativity (and possibly a consultation with Google or Pinterest) you can teach yourself how to play!

I am self-taught on erhu.

 Support those you care about.  You may say that you genuinely care about certain people… but do your actions follow suit?  It can be discouraging when you are involved in different activities and no one outside of your immediate family ever makes an effort to come see you.  Find out when your friends’ sports games, competitions, concerts, and other special events are and make a sincere effort to show up.

 Read poetry.  This dying art deserves a revival!  My friend Grace over at Don’t You Know That I’m Singing writes lovely poetry.

 Get into the habit of listening to an audio Bible.  Cleaning your room?  Listen to the Bible.  Driving to work?  Listen to the Bible.  Making your family dinner?  Listen to the Bible.  I use the website Bible Gateway for listening to Scripture on my laptop, but you can also buy CDs with recordings of Scripture.

 Remember that ministry is a privilege.  Train your mind to be ministry-minded and always eager to serve.  There is, of course, a time and place to say “no,” but make sure you have a legitimate reason before you give such an answer.

 Invest in your siblings.  I know you hear this all the time as big sisters.  But really, this is a MUST!  Choose to become interested in at least one thing each of your siblings’ are interested in.  Play dolls with the 5-year-old.  Take an interest in cars for the 16-year-old. 

 Respect your brothers.  If they make a comment about your actions or dress or attitude, don’t snap back.  Instead, really listen to them.  Make a special mental note of their suggestions, and then make the change if it is a reasonable and godly change.  Respect is important to guys.  Don’t be the sister that tares down.

 Broaden your vocabulary and learn to express yourself with excellence and skill.  Cultivated phraseology is rapidly becoming a lost art.  Just recently, my mother read me an excerpt from an old book.  It was glorious!  The author had carefully woven a prize sentence.  Let’s explore the wonderful world of English and vocabulary, and learn to express with excellence!

 Be the godly “older girl” you needed when you were younger.  I remember when I was younger and craved the attention of the older girls.  I am still so thankful for the few older girls who chose to stop 
and talk to me and give me attention!  Choose to be that “older girl” for the little ladies you know.

 Always have a book to read.  This is something my mom says often!  Read everything from the classics to autobiographies.  There is an endless store of literature out there.  Explore it!


 Don’t worry about having many friends.  It’s much better to have a few close friends than many distant friends.  Always be friendly and kind, of course, but remember that you can’t build best-friend relationships with every girl on the planet.  If you don’t have a close, godly friend already, pray for one, by all means!  But don’t be greedy in your pursuit of new friends.  Believe it or not, it IS possible to become overwhelmed by friendships!

 Use Pinterest carefully.  Please don’t pin sarcastic, negative quotes and pins about your life, how miserable you are, etc. on your Pinterest boards.  It isn’t helping you become more grateful and it certainly isn’t building up your friends when they scroll through their feed and see those pins.  Pinterest is not a pity party.  Pinterest is a tool.  Use it right.

 Keep up with God’s work around the world through missions.  Grab missionary prayer cards and put them on your bedroom door.  Sign up for mission updates.  Write missionaries.  Connect with them in a deeper way by learning more about their country and culture.  Go on mission trips.  Develop a heart for missions!

 Limit the makeup.  Just, please.

 Ask questions.  I think this is one of the best pieces of practical life advice my mom has ever given me.  I see this lacking everywhere as I come into contact with different people.  Honestly girls, it’s hard to keep up a good conversation when one side never asks any questions!  Please, please, please make sure that you always ask questions in your correspondence with others!

-----

Additional resources:

> Some Random Bits of Life Advice.  Mykaela’s post actually first inspired me to write this post!  If you notice, it has been almost a year since Mykaela wrote it… so this post has been a long time in the making!

Also, I’d like to apologize for missing the Women of the Bible post this past week.  I hope to resume the series again next week.



*Listen to my new YouTube video --> here.


Comments

  1. Thanks for putting this together, I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post so much!
    I agree wholeheartedly with the "put the phone away" statement. It's so sad to me when I see people go out to eat together and then spend the whole time on their phones. How depressing is that!?
    Ah yes, read poetry. ;) Thanks for mentioning my blog! :)
    And yes, super important to be close to your mom! My mom has been such a blessing and an encouragement to me! And yes, your mom is beautiful. ;)
    I need to have a go-to outfit. Instead, I always try to wear whatever I'm sure I won't be wanting to wear if I end up going somewhere, which isn't fun because then I never get to wear the clothes I want to wear. Instead of saving the whole closet I just need to set one set of clothes aside. Hahaha!
    I need to work on question-asking. Sometimes I'm okay, but oftentimes (especially when meeting new people that I don't IMMEDIATELY *click* with) I have trouble thinking of questions to ask.
    And YESSSS investing in siblings is SO IMPORTANT!!! We sisters hear that all the time but it's still often so underrated to us. You can't really realize how important it is to invest in your siblings' lives until you actually start doing it!
    And supporting friends is also another good one. When a friend shows interest in going somewhere with me/watching an event that I'm a part of it really touches me! You can tell you've found a good friend when they take the time to go places and do things with you. That's the kind of friend I want to be!
    And really have friends around my age because we didn't know many and I was deathly shy. We knew some older girls though (they were like 5 years older than me), and I was so blessed every time they took the time to stop and talk with me! I've always wanted to be the same way with younger girls. And hey, younger girls can be friends too! That's one thing I've learned recently - age difference doesn't mean you can't be friends with someone. I have a very dear friend and she's 13, and her 11 year old sister is often in on our conversations too!
    Ooookay, long comment. XD I'd better stop now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Grace! ;)
      I'd love to elaborate on every single thing you said in your comment, but I really need to cut this short since I have to get up early for the ACT tomorrow :/ I didn't want to wait to reply though because I already replied to the others and you deserve a reply too :)
      Anyway, I'll just say... I love especially how you brought up that younger girls can be good friends too. I wholeheartedly agree! That is fantastic that one of your close friends is 13. And I'm younger than you too, and I SO appreciate the friendship we have!! <3

      Delete
    2. That's fine! Praying for you! Let me know how it goes!
      And yes, I've been blessed SO MUCH by our friendship too! Funny it originated from an 'accident'. ;)

      Delete
    3. Well, I'm took the ACT this morning... I'm glad its done now. xD I felt pretty confident for the majority of the test, and went at pretty good click. After the moderator called time on the last test, I pushed my booklet away and breathed a sigh of relief and said, "God, it's in your hands." Now I'm just going to trust Him with the results. <3 Thank you so much for praying!
      Can't God work wonders out of our human mistakes?? So glad you accidentally sent that email. <3 :)

      Delete
    4. I'm glad it went fairly well! And it's always SO relieving to be done with tests. I was praying for you last night and this morning. ;)
      Same here, glad I sent that email to the wrong address! I just thought - it's rather funny that I had your address saved to my email addresses at all being that I didn't really know you. ;)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this post! I enjoyed reading it, and it reminded me of some areas I need to work on. :) I also read Some Random Bits of Life Advice, per your suggestion, and it was very good as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this post was helpful, Leona. I think this list includes areas we all struggle with in one way or another. I was preaching to myself in writing this!
      Thank you for taking the time to read Mykaela's post! It was fantastic. I'm sure she'll be encouraged that you read it :)

      Delete
  4. Great thoughts and advice in here, Grace! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace, this post was so helpful! This has to be one of my favorite posts you have ever written!! I especially liked your points of supporting those you care about, and always having a mindset ready to serve others. I am going to print this article out--it was SO good! Something I have been learning lately is that I now have the job of being the “older girl” I needed when I was younger. Do you have any tips for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad this was so helpful for you!
      Hmm, I would say just to make a conscious decision to choose being with younger girls. If you see a younger girl by herself, go sit by her. I had an older friend once who came to church during choir practice (before I was in choir) and she'd come talk to me during the hour the choir rehearsed. It meant a lot! (She later went on to become my mentor, btw.) Some other ideas: invite her over to your house, ask her to sit with you, start a Bible study with her, write her letters, etc. Ask her if she'd like to be prayer sisters -- that is always fun! Remember her birthday. Ask her about her week. Just treat her as you would a girl your age; never inferior, but always as a precious soul of God's that needs care too.
      Never, ever be too busy to care about the younger people in your life. If you're too busy to care about other people (of any age), you're too busy. Period.
      Hopefully some of this was helpful! If you have any more questions, or I didn't answer your question how you were wanting, please let me know and I'll try my best to answer better. :)
      Oh, also a little side note -- the younger girls in your life are watching you very carefully. Set a standard for them. Set an example for GOOD in every aspect you possibly can. Think about this: when I was younger, I looked up to two different girls. Let's call the first one C and the second, K.
      C wore clothing that pushed boundaries in every area; skirts too short, pants too tight, necklines too low, sleeves too, well, nonexistent. She used lots of makeup, her hair was always done (curls, hairspray, highlights, everything), and although she took such care of her appearance, it took a while to look past her outward appearance and see what was really hidden under the fashion, makeup, and hairspray.
      K, on the other hand, was a sweet, soft-spoken young lady who wore non-distracting clothing; long, flowing skirts, simple blouses, limited makeup and hair always clean + beautiful but not done extravagantly. She always looked beautiful, but it was the beauty of her heart that shone the more brightly. Both girls influenced me. Which girl set the best standard and influenced me for better? Obviously K.
      Now, I'm not saying that in order to be a good influence you have to wear long skirts and never put your hair up. But the fact is, K's beauty and femininity was much more obvious because she didn't obsess over her appearance like C did.
      Point is, I was watching these girls. I noticed what they wore and how they acted. And I tried to imitate that. Younger girls look at EVERYTHING you do. They will try to imitate you; even in what they wear. We need to set a good example in every aspect of our lives!

      Delete
  6. This was beautiful, Grace! Thank you for putting this together, we all need to read this every once in awhile to help remember what's important! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!