Bible Studying Methods

Hey y’all! It’s August! Soon school will be starting again, and so will a Bible Quizzing organization I quiz in. So, to start off the quiz season, I decided to do a post to inspire methods for studying, and I hope you’ll try some out! :-)



ScriptureTyper.com – this website is good for short-term memory. You can literally memorize a verse in 1 minute. First you type it out (you are shown the whole verse), then they take away every-other word and you type it again, and then they take away all the words and you attempt to type it by complete memory. I like ScriptureTyper because it not only helps you memorize verses quickly, but improve your typing speed and accuracy. If you are looking at using ScriptureTyper, I would highly suggest you use this as an extra memory help, and use a more effective memorizing technique as your main study. And, definitely make sure you go back constantly (at least once a day) to review the verses.

Biblegateway.com – as I type, I am listening to Bible Gateway in my background :-) It’s perfect for people who do better studying by listening to an audio version of the Bible.

Write out Flashcards – one of the most efficient studying methods I have used is typing out the verse on one side of the flashcard, and then typing my own questions for the verse on the other side of the card. It takes a while, but is so worth it. And then, my mom can quiz us to help us get extra practice in!

Memorize the 5’s – memorizing every 5th verse (5, 10, 15, 20, and so on…) will help you remember the sequence of verses.

Memorize the first few words – if you have more than 2 or 3 memory verses in a row, memorize the first few words to each verse, say them all in a row (creating an easy-to-remember sentence that makes no sense), and go from there. It’ll help you link the reference verse number with the verse.

Sing the verse - I know this seems silly, but singing your verse to the tune of a well-known song (like "Jesus Loves Me") can help! I'm serious!

Write the verse - write out your verse. It will help you familiarize yourself with the passage.

JUST READ IT – and, one of the most effective ways to familiarize yourself with the context, is to just simply read the section. Over and over and over again.


How do you memorize? I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas! Please comment!

Comments