Vanilla Lemongrass Lip Balm

Hey everyone!  Today I have a really cool project to show you – it’s how to make vanilla lemongrass lip balm!  This lip balm is organic, super quick and easy, fun to make, and smells absolutely lovely!  It’s great to give as gifts, or just to keep for your own use :)  So let’s get started!


Ingredients:
5 Tablespoons Coconut oil (refined)
3 Tablespoons Beeswax pellets
8-10 drops Lemongrass essential oil
1/8 teaspoons Vanilla extract

In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the coconut oil and beeswax pellets.  We melted ours on high.

Once the beeswax and coconut oil is melted together and the liquid is clear, add the essential oil and vanilla, and stir.  Then use little funnels or pipettes to pour the liquid into the lip balm tubes.  It should fill about a dozen or a few more.  

It is OK if the containers fill too high and some spills down the edges, although I don’t encourage you to waste much liquid this way :)  To help keep your tubes from falling over while filling them, we punched holes out of an egg carton and put the tubes in that.

When you first fill up the containers, the liquid will be clear-ish.  When it dries, it should become white, and thicken up to a waxy texture.  This should not take very long.

And you are done!!  You can put labels on them, or just use them as they are.  You can also make (by crocheting or sewing) little lip balm holders that can attach to purses, key chains, and other things, so your lip balm is always nearby.  Just search Pinterest and you will find a lot of ideas and ways to make them!

NOTE:  instead of lemongrass essential oil and vanilla, you can use ¼ teaspoon cocoa powder and peppermint essential oil to make chocolate mint lip balm.

Here are some random pictures I took of the progress:

This is the coconut oil we used

Thumbs up for the vanilla and lemongrass

Getting ready to fill

Filling

They're done!

Chocolate mint




Enjoy your lip balm!!! :)  And comment below to let me know what you think!

Comments

  1. Again, very cool. do you sell these? Also, where do you find beeswax? I haven't been able to find any...ever...

    minionlover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would be open to selling the lip balms to anyone who would want one.
      I'm not really sure where the beeswax was from... I think my mom ordered it, but again I'm not sure. I'll try to find that out and let you know.
      Oh, and one word of caution - if you ever try ANYTHING that uses beeswax, stir constantly and pour quickly! It hardens SO FAST. Once I made lotions bars and it literally hardened on the side of the bowl as we were pouring it! I'm serious! With the lip balm it doesn't have that big of a problem, but still stirring and pouring quickly would be a good choice! :)

      Delete
    2. ThankS! That's really helpful. i don't know if my mom is open to me getting beeswax if it's expensive. how much are the lip balms? I might get some for classmates for Christmas.

      minionlover

      Delete
    3. I sell them for 2 dollars a tube. They actually work really well and I used it twice for my chapped lips and it un-chapped them :) I'll bring you a few to try out (for free) if you would like.

      Delete
    4. Forgot to add - I only have chocolate mint ones left, but I could definitely whip you up some lemongrass ones if you want. Let me know.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!