My Thoughts On // Our Assignments

Recently in my devotions, I have been studying through a Bible plan* on discovering God’s calling on your life.  After reading through the daily exhortations and corresponding Scripture verses, I reflect on it by writing down the things I learned, found encouraging/challenging, or really impacted me.  Through this, I am keeping a journal of what I am discovering about God-given assignments.  I wanted to share my thoughts on this with you, and some excerpts from my journal.

First and foremost, I think we’d better make sure we have a good idea of our roles here on this earth, as believers, before we try to discover and work on our God-given assignments.   If we don’t have a clear view of our purpose, or the "why" behind our assignment, it’s going to be very hard to work on the assignments!  So… what is our role as followers of Christ?  The simple answer is… to glorify God.  That sums up just about everything.

“We must realize that God is the only one who must be glorified.  We should be practically invisible.”

Our God-given assignments are unique from anyone else in the world.  God has given each of us specific assignments that no one else can do.  YOU are the only person who can accomplish that assignment.  When God chose that assignment, He had you in mind – no one else.  I don’t know about you, but that makes me feel deeply honored that the Creator of the universe had me in mind for that job!

Often when God asks for us to do something, we respond like Moses: “Why me?”  We start suggesting people to God: “Wouldn’t someone else, like this person, be much more suited for the job?”  We think that we can’t do it well enough.  We don’t have the time, or energy, or resources, or personality for that job.  But you know what?  God knows you are imperfect.  He knows you fail.  But He still gives you the opportunity to make your mark for Him, by doing what He asks you to do!  So do you think that type of response pleases Him?  I don’t think so! 

Comparison and unwillingness go hand in hand.  Be careful not to compare yourself to other believers.  It is YOUR calling, so rejoice in it!

“Paul is thankful for His gift of preaching, but he does not baptize. He says in 1 Corinthians 1:17 that God did not send Him to baptize; He sent him to preach.”

So often when we’re on fire for God, our goal in sight is to accomplish the assignment God has given.  You know what?  Don’t even try, because that’s not your end goal.  Your goal is to follow after Jesus.  And when you’re following Him recklessly, devotedly, and entirely, your assignment will be accomplished.

“Today I learned that my special ‘assignment’ from God is not my goal.  My goal is Jesus.  Through my journey to Him, the assignment will be accomplished.”

God put you in this specific place at this specific time.  This is your time to say “yes” to God’s calling.  This is your time to serve God the way only you can.  

This is your time to make your mark.





*My Bible plans come from YouVersion – www.bible.com

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this!! It was so encouraging! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad it was encouraging to you, Bella! It's something I have really been studying and pondering lately in my devotions. This study has been such a blessing!

      Delete
    2. It sounds like it! It was a blessing to me too what you shared!

      Delete
    3. I'm glad it was a blessing! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!