Why ScriptureTyper Works for Me

Hey y’all!  Some of you early subscribers here on the blog may remember this post last year with helpful tips on Bible study and memorization methods.  If you have a really good memory, you may even remember that one of those study tips was the website and app, “ScriptureTyper.”  When we first tried it out, my brothers both found that it gave them only minimal help, but I kept at it.  Now, about 3-4 years later, ScriptureTyper is my main method of studying.  I’d like to share with you in this post why ScriptureTyper works for me.

If you don’t know anything about ScriptureTyper, let me just give you the gist of how it works.  You first create a collection (“Romans 2” for example), pick your Bible version, and then add the desired verses to the collection.  It has you copy the verse, and then it takes away every-other word.  You type it again, and then it takes away all the words, and you type it by memory.  

It sounds quick, and easy, right?  

Well, not exactly.

It took me years to figure out how to use ScriptureTyper effectively, because for a while I was doomed like my brothers.  But I worked at it, experimented, and finally found out how it works for me personally.

For me, just the 3 steps in the memorization process won’t work.  It simply does not stay in my mind for very long!  So here’s what I do now to make it work for me:



1.         When ScriptureTyper gives me the verse to copy, I read it (in my mind or aloud) several times.  This gets it into my head.  I read it over and over until I process it and understand what the verse means, because if I don’t understand it, I probably won’t remember it.

2.         After I read it a few times and grasp the meaning of the verse, I begin copying it.  When I copy it, I say it out loud too.  This familiarizes me with the sound of the verse.  I do this 2-3 times.

3.         I then move on to the “Memorize It” step, where it takes away every-other word.  I continue quoting out loud while I type it.  I type it at least twice, because every time you re-type it, it will switch which words disappear.

4.         I move on to “Master It” when I become comfortable and confident with it.  I still speak it while I type.  I type the verse out by memory at least twice.

5.         Time to move on to the next verse!  Yay! :)  I repeat everything above again, to memorize that verse too.  Then, when it is still on the “Master It” setting, I go back to the previous verse, and type it out by memory again.  Once I know that I can still go back and remember the verse, I go back to verse 2 and type it by memory again too.  This lets me know the sequence of the verses, and helps me be able to pick out the verse if I were given the reference.

6.         REVIEW DAILY.  I cannot stress this enough!! :)  That is truly the secret key to ScriptureTyper.



So there you have it!  That is how I got ScriptureTyper to work for me!  Let me clarify though, I do not follow these steps every single time!  They are what I recommend to get full benefit out of it, but sometimes I will drop a pointer (like quoting it aloud) when I memorize verses using ScriptureTyper.  And if it’s a verse I’m already familiar with, I usually will do something like only type it on each setting once.  But for the majority of the time, this is what I recommend and this is how it works best for me.   And I hope these tips are helpful for you as well!


Have you ever used ScriptureTyper before?  Does it work for you?



Comments

  1. This was neato! I actually have never used or heard of Scripture Typer before, but it sounds awesome! I'm glad you have an effective method for memorizing... I really want to memorize, but I really don't have a method.. I don't think ST would work for me, so do you have any ideas??

    P.S. Thanks so much for the letter, I enjoyed it so much and will reply soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia, that is awesome that you want to find an effective way to memorize!! I'm so glad you are eager to hide God's Word in your heart, and you are looking for ways to do so! I understand that ScriptureTyper will not work for everyone, but I would love to give you some more pointers and ideas! :)

      First, feel free to read the post I linked to in my first paragraph; maybe it'll have some helpful ideas for you.

      I also have used the website "Memverse" before, which has several different methods of studying on there that you can try (from what I remember... it's been a while since I've used it). I did a post on Memverse last November (look in my blog archives) so that should have more information about that website, in case you want to give that a try.

      Another method that I have heard of is to say the verse 10 times looking at it, then say it 10 times without looking at it (or something like that). That takes quite a bit of time, so I don't use that method, but maybe if you're only looking at memorizing a verse or so a day, then that might be an idea you can use in your daily devotions.

      Also, attaching memorization with memories can be helpful! One of the first passages I ever learned was John 14:1-5. It was kind of long for a 5-year-old (or however old I was), but one day my grandmother just decided to teach me it, and we worked on it for quite a while. And I still remember it well to this day. I also learned the Lord's prayer from my other grandma! In both instances, I was in a different place than usual. Sometimes all it takes for something to "click" is to be in a different place... then when you think of the verse, you'll think of the place you were in... and that will help! :)

      Also, accountability is HUGE! Set goals, share them with someone (like your mom), and have them keep you accountable with your memorization.

      I hope those were helpful! :) If you'd like me to share any more, I'd be happy to in my next letter! Just remind me when you write back ;)

      Hope you find a method that works for you!!

      Delete
    2. Oh my!! Thank you so much for all the help!! I actually have a method I'm about to try, although thank you so much for all the tips! I'm going to try soon, when we can get it, something called an "iBible" which is like an MP3 player but with the entire Bible on audio on it!! And it comes in NKJV which is what I use, along with a charger, manuel and earbuds! I'm so excited because I've wanted to have something like that for awhile now, and since I can memorize a song I listen to by only listening to it once or twice, I think since I'm an audio learner, this will be perfect!! I'm so excited! It will be so great, I will be able to listen to God's Word while working, crafting, riding in the car, anywhere!!!

      What do you think??

      Delete
    3. Olivia, that's awesome!! I hope that you find iBible to be helpful and beneficial in your memorization! Although I don't think I am an audio learner, I also listen to Scripture to familiarize myself with it. I use Bible Gateway, where you can change versions and things. I personally use KJV, and they have a dramatized version that is really helpful because it isn't monotone like a lot of other ones :) One year when I memorized Matthew 27 (Jesus' crucifixion and death), the dramatized version was so "real" that I had to stop listening to it because it depressed me so much I would literally begin to panic inwardly with depression, and almost cry! I couldn't bear listening to it dramatized anymore! But it really did help me have a deeper understanding of the sheer horror and pain of Christ's death, as well as remember the words better.
      So, I hope that you find that audio helps you memorize!! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this!! I had used ScriptureTyper once or twice during Bible Bee (I used Memverse most) but never really got the hang of it, but now that I've read your post I'm going to have to try again and use the steps you recommended!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find ScriptureTyper helpful too! ;) Thanks for commenting!!

      Delete
  3. This sounds really neat! I've never heard of Scripture Typer, but I might look it up! :D One thing that helps me memorize Scripture is to listen to it being sung, and to sing along! Sing the KJV is really neat, because Tirzah Joy turns chapters of the KJV Bible into songs, and even includes the words. She has a YouTube channel, and CD's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ScriptureTyper is great! Just make sure to review a ton to solidify memory ;) I love how you listen to Scripture being sung -- I've wanted to do that for a very long time but haven't. Thank you SO much for the recommendation -- I will definitely be looking up Tirzah Joy on YouTube!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!