Card Inspiration // Lettered Birthday Cards

Hey y’all!  These last few months have been so exciting in the creativity part of my life!  Why?  I think I found my card-making crafty niche!  I’ve always admired calligraphy and lettering, and ever since I began typing I have loved experimenting with different fonts on Microsoft Word.  Quite a while ago, I began to letter the words/sayings on my cards, instead of stamping or printing them.  I really enjoyed this, and began doing it more and more.  More recently, I have started creating cards that are completely hand-drawn.  And I absolutely love it!

Lettering cards are seriously so much fun.  You do have to be very careful and slow to start with if you don’t want the finished product to look uneven and sloppy, but as you learn and improve it will be easier and you can speed up.

I’ve always had trouble with masculine cards.  Handmade cards with washi tape, glitter, fancy writing and stuff don’t exactly shout “manly.”  I feel like I can do so much more with lettering when it comes to creating masculine birthday cards.

Here are some cards I have recently lettered...








I hope these inspire you to try your hand at lettering!  Experimenting with lettering different ways and trying different fonts can be so much fun, and if you’re up for the challenge, do some artwork on your cards too!  Right now I use colored pencils for any extra art I do on my cards, but you can try watercolors or sketching or whatever you’d like.


Have you tried hand-lettering before?

Comments

  1. Olivia Bell (aka Livy)June 3, 2017 at 5:07 PM

    Oh wow, these are beautiful! You did such a fantastic job on those cards! Was one of them for your own birthday? Haha! ;) Did you have a good birthday, did you get my e-card and the surprise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Livy! Hahaha no ;) My birthday was great! I'll tell you about it in my next letter. I should be sending it out Monday, hopefully. And yes, I did get your e-card and your gift! And the book came as a total surprise -- I was SO excited!! That was seriously so sweet of you, Olivia. Thank you ever so much!

      Delete
    2. Olivia Bell (aka Livy)June 3, 2017 at 11:55 PM

      Yay! I hoped it would be a surprise, you'd talked about wanting the book so much I just knew you'd love it! Have you started reading it yet? I'm glad you're birthday was so great and I can't wait for your letter! :D

      Delete
    3. Yes! I've read about half of it so far! :)

      Delete
  2. The second one is my favorite! So pretty :) Super fun ideas too! Thanks, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bella! The second one was fun to make :)

      Delete
  3. Whoa, those are soooo pretty! I'd like to try to get better at hand lettering, but right now I don't have time. :( You are so good at it, though! It looks so professional and pretty! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Grace! I do hope you get to eventually try out hand lettering -- it is so enjoyable!

      Delete
  4. Wow! This is beautiful...you definitely have a talent for this. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!