My Goals // Summer 2017

Wow.  It’s been quite a while since I’ve done one of these posts, hasn’t it?!  My goal-making motivation just hasn’t been there these past few months.  I was enjoying the break, actually, until I realized how bored I’ve been getting lately.  This past weekend I had two specific times where I just did not know what to do with myself (which is funny because this weekend was also quite hectic).  That being said, I figured it’s time I return to goal-setting ;)

These are my goals for this summer…

1 --- Try 4 Pinterest projects.  In anticipation for being gone 2 weeks in July, I’m aiming to try out terry-cloth travel pouches as one of the projects.  These are basically just hand towels turned up and sewn at the bottom to create pockets which can hold travel-sized toiletries.  Another project I am still debating doing is a t-shirt quilt.  Although I doubt that I’ll be wearing my old basic t-shirts much longer, I’m not sure if I’m ready to part with them yet.  The places they came from have some great memories attached.  I don’t know I could bear cutting them up!

2 --- Complete hymn arrangement of “The Old Rugged Cross.”  I’m super excited about this arrangement, which I have kind of already finished but still need to write out.  This hymn is an older hymn (and older-sounding) and I wanted to do something with it to help me like it a little better… so I decided to write my own arrangement to it! ;)

3 --- Read 10 books.

4 --- Re-do dresser.  I just moved into a new bedroom so there’s still some things to be done before it screams GRACE all over it :)  The plan for the dresser is to paint it white, modge-podge some sheet music on the sides, and add some cool new knobs with the shattered-glass look.  I’m excited to see how it will turn out!

5 --- Clean out closet.  Because this closet has needed some purging for a prreetttty long time…

6 --- Try 3 recipes.

7 --- Learn a classical piano piece.  My current classical piece is pretty much ‘mastered,’ so I will need to move on to another piece or two over the summer.  A piece by Mozart will probably grace my piano and therefore result in lots of frustrated grunts and pulling of the hair.  Pieces from the earlier eras are not my forte!

8 --- Have a photo shoot.


This summer I’m also looking forward to taking a road trip to visit extended family, learning a new instrument (!), blogging some pretty cool posts, and writing another hymn arrangement or two (Lord willing!).


What about you?  Have you set any goals for this summer?   What are your plans this season?

Comments

  1. These are great goals! I need to get a list going. :) If you ever get a recording of your arrangement of The Old Rugged Cross you'll have to let me hear it!
    I'm just about to move into a new room too, so I'm working on getting that all planned out. And the closet in there will DEFINITELY need a good cleaning too! :/
    Good luck on your new piece! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! And yes, I will try my best to get you a recording of my arrangement somehow. Also, you are more than welcome to keep me accountable on finishing my arrangement and recording it... I need the extra push and motivation unless my arrangements just never get finished. :/
      Ooh yay! I think it's so fun to change rooms :) Cleaning of closets... not so much xD

      Delete
  2. Such a fun post, Grace! I hope you are able to accomplish these goals, but if not, it's a great thing just to have set them! :) May I offer some suggestions for classical pieces? (I'm not too great at them either, but lately have learned some really pretty ones due to my piano teacher's requirements! ;P) Lizst Consolations No. 3 in Dflat is SOOOO peaceful and beautiful!! Also, Grieg's "Wedding Day at Troldhaugen" is pretty difficult but also super super fun. (Not peaceful though--it's pretty bombastic, lol!) Have a lovely day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the music suggestions! I love Wedding Day at Troldhaugen! Or, at least what I've heard from it... I've never actually listened to the entire thing :P But the first part is so fun and carefree sounding, and the other pages look even more exciting ;) And the Consolation No.3 is gorgeous! My teacher almost had me play it last year, but we decided on another piece instead. I am hoping on returning to it one day, however! :) Thank you for bringing those pieces to mind!

      Delete
    2. Sorry to butt in here... but I have to say, Wedding Day at Troldhaugen is a classical piece that holds some of the best memories for me! It was the first piece I played that wasn't a hymn arrangement that I really, really enjoyed (now I love classical music ;) ). I'll pull out my music of it next time I see you, Grace (if I remember, haha!). And I like that Liszt Consolation too... but I've never played it. :)
      Both of you should go listen to Widmung. It's a song by Schumann, but Liszt composed an arrangement of it that I just started playing and it's my favorite piece right now.
      I enjoyed reading your goals, Grace (and interrupting this nice little conversation between you and Mykaela... oops :) ).

      Delete
    3. Haha thanks for the input, Haley! ;) I have Wedding Day at Troldhaugen in at least one of my books so don't worry about pulling it out for me -- but thank you so much for offering!
      You'll have to play Widmung for me when we get together Haley! :) I can't wait to hear it! I'm sure you play it beautifully!

      Delete
  3. Cool!! Sounds fun!! I need to get back to learning the piano! I don't know that I have goals but things I definitely need to do some things lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Beth! Please keep me updated on your progress learning piano when you begin! :)

      Delete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad you did another of these! :) Yes, you should definitely do a photoshoot, they're so fun! :D I need to work on my next book this summer xD xP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bella! Yes, photo shoots are a blast -- now I just need a model to photograph ;) My dream is to do a photo shoot with a violinist!!
      YES you need to work on your book!! :D I'm excited about this new book!

      Delete
  5. Olivia Bell (aka Livy)June 28, 2017 at 6:58 PM

    This was a fun post, you have some great goals! I make yearly goals instead of monthly or seasonal goals, but I'd like to get a lot of books read this summer! Yeah, we have some fun plans of taking a trip somewhere in September, so that'll be super fun! I hope your trip goes well! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Livy! I make yearly goals too, I just find it helpful to break those down into seasonal/monthly goals as well... and maybe also because I'll use any excuse to write a list ;) I'm a ultra enthusiastic list-maker xD
      Ooh fun! You'll have to tell me about your trip plans in your next letter! And my apologies -- I haven't located a stamp yet so that is causing a long delay in me replying to you :( But hopefully soon I'll get a letter to you mailed!!

      Delete
    2. Hey, I don't know if you'll see this or not, but I figured I'd try anyway. So, we had a little mix up here about the letter I was going to mail you. I had placed it and another letter in my mom's office so she could find stamps for them, but we can't find them. My mom said that she might have put stamps on them and asked me grandma to mail them for me, but she can't remember at all if she did that or not. If you've have gotten/get a letter from me in the very near future, please comment and let me know!!! I really want to make sure the other letter gets to it's recipient as well.
      Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Olivia Bell (aka Livy)June 30, 2017 at 4:20 PM

      Hi Grace! Yes, I got your letter a couple days ago! Thank you so much, I'm sorry about the mix-up! I'll reply soon! :D

      Delete
    4. I'm SO glad you got it!! Thank you for letting me know!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for posting this, Grace! My goal this summer is to earn $100 by doing some projects around the house...so far I'm at $47. And then I'll be going to string camp at Bob Jones! I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy! That's a great goal -- and you're almost half way there! Keep it up! :) Can't wait to see you again soon!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!