Women of the Bible // Ruth


Hey y’all!  I know I had mentioned back in this post about me potentially doing a blog study on women of the Bible, and many of you gave positive feedback on the idea.  I’ve been thinking about, studying, and planning to begin this series this spring, and today I’m officially kicking of this study!  I am hoping to post every-other-week, but Saturdays can either be very quiet or very busy, depending on the week, so it may not work.  We will have to see.  Anyway, let’s go ahead and jump in with our first study, discussing Ruth!

I don’t know about you, but Ruth has always been one of my favorite Bible characters.  Her story is a beautiful picture of beauty for ashes.  It’s also one of the sweetest love stories you will find.  Yet, Ruth’s story was far from romantic.  She experienced much heartache and knew what hard times were like.  Her daily life was of toil and pain, both physically and emotionally, as she worked hard each day to provide for her mother-in-law, Naomi, and herself while she battled the loss of her husband and everything she had ever known.

Although we don’t know everything there is to know about Ruth and her story, there is still a wealth of knowledge, wisdom, and insight we can gain by studying just these 4 chapters.  Here are three characteristics we see so clearly displayed in Ruth’s life.

Ruth was resolved.

When I think of a steady, grounded woman, I think of Ruth.  She was firm, determined, and dedicated.  We see that Orpah, Naomi’s other daughter-in-law, was not so firm.  After a little persuasion, she kissed Naomi good-bye and returned to her homeland (Ruth 1:10, 14-15).  When Naomi advised Ruth to do the same, Ruth essentially replied, “Don’t say that!” (Ruth 1:16-17.)  Verse 18 suggests that Naomi may have persisted further, but Ruth’s decision was clearly resolute.  This woman had made up her mind!

I smile a little when I think about how we, as women, so often have iron wills.  That can often work against us, but in this case it worked for Ruth.  You know, it’s kind of amusing when you think of how set women can get on things that mean so little, and then how deceived and influenced by subjects that mean so much.  It was not so with Ruth.  She had a good head on her shoulders.

have a feeling that Ruth knew how to handle her emotions, despite the rollercoaster she must have experienced at this time in her life.  Maybe Ruth’s family life hadn’t been that good, so she was in no hurry to get back home.  I don’t know.  But I do know that she chose the difficult way.  When our emotions are running wild, we usually just pick the easiest option.  Our heart and body yearns for rest and normality.  But Ruth denied whatever emotional attachments she may have had to her homeland comfort, and chose to stay with her poor, widowed mother-in-law instead.

When Ruth made the decision to stay with Naomi and go back to Bethlehem, she was probably aware that fitting in wasn’t going to happen easily.  They hadn’t been there long before rumors started flying (Ruth 1:19).  Naomi wasn’t a complete stranger, and Ruth’s identity as a Moabite would not have been hidden long.  Naomi’s response was to change her name to Mara, which means “bitter.”  We don’t know what Ruth’s response to this was at first, but we do know that it didn’t keep her indoors.  She knew that provision for food would have to be made, so she got right out there to start gleaning.  This brings me to the second main characteristic we will consider about Ruth…

Ruth was hard-working.

It would have been far from easy for Ruth to go out into unknown fields and reap for hours on end (Ruth 2:2, 7).  Ruth was faithful to care for Naomi, and she worked hard (Ruth 2:11-12, 17).  And this is where Mr. Tall, Dark, and Handsome enters the scene.

OK, well, we don’t know if Boaz was tall, dark, and handsome or not, although we do know that he was wealthy (Ruth 2:1).  But that’s beside the point.  Point is, he was Ruth’s kinsman redeemer.  Her husband-to-be.  You know how the story goes. :)

Ruth was humble.

If you examine all of Ruth’s other noticeable characteristics, you will find one common thread: humility.  Ruth had to be humble when she chose to come with Naomi into a foreign land where she would potentially be unwelcome and have to work hard to live.  She was a widower.  Life was hard and circumstances were depressing.  Gleaning the fields after the servants was something the poor did (Leviticus 19:9-10, 23:22).  When Boaz showered Ruth with generosity, her response was to fall on her face before him (Ruth 2:10).

What I love about this story is how it takes a beautiful turn from a rough season of heartache to a new season filled with the outpouring of God’s grace and goodness.  The Lord didn’t leave Ruth in despair.  He sent her hope and blessings.  And you know what’s really cool?  Read this verse below, which was written hundreds of years after Ruth’s story took place.

“Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder.  Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.”  - 1 Peter 5:5

Ruth was such a perfect picture of this verse!  She submitted herself to the elder (she followed and took care of Naomi) and was clothed with humility.  And then, she enjoyed the benefits of God’s promise: God… giveth grace to the humble. 

Ruth, a woman of humility, experienced so much of God’s grace.  Boaz made sure she had food (Ruth 2:14, 16), arranged matters with the nearest kinsman redeemer (Ruth 4:1-6), and took Ruth to be his wife (Ruth 4:10, 13).  God blessed the couple with a son, Obed, and we know that Jesus eventually came through this line.

Other characteristics we find in Ruth’s life?

- She had a reputation of virtue (Ruth 3:11)
- She did not go after other men (Ruth 3:10)
- She was obedient (Ruth 3:5)
- She trusted God (Ruth 2:12)

I could go on and on for hours about this incredible woman.  There is just so much beauty in the story of Ruth!  So much to glean from her.  So much to learn.  So much to ponder.  This is not my first time studying Ruth.  I get more and more out of it each time through.  Isn’t that how all of God’s Word is?!

I would encourage you to do your own study on Ruth.  Read through it, look up all the references in this post, study it with a friend, read a book on Ruth or another article like this one… there are so many ways and resources.  I will list a couple below.

- > Sermon: 7 Reasons to Say “I Do.”  For part one, click here.  For part two, click here.  Description: Folded into the layers of romance between Ruth and Boaz is some extremely practical advice on why anyone should ever say yes to a wedding proposal. Stephen {Davies} explores seven qualities that should be on every single girl's and guy’s wish list. And for the married, these are seven qualities to never stop pursuing!”
(Note: marriage doesn’t have to be at the forefront of your mind in order for you to get something out of this.  My dad asked me to listen to this sermon several months ago.  So many great points.  I plan on listening to it again soon.  Also, it focuses more on the love story aspect in the book of Ruth, whereas I did not touch much on that in this post.)

- > Blog post: Becoming a Woman of Virtue: a Bible Study on Ruth.  (Rebekah gives many more resources for studying Ruth at the end of her post.)

I’d love to hear from you, below!

Are you excited about this study?  Comment with three hearts! πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™  (But don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comment, too ;)
Who is your favorite woman of the Bible?
Are there any specific Biblical women you’d like to me to highlight in a post?

P.S. -- have you gotten a chance yet to check out my newest YouTube video, When Morning Gilds the Skies?

Comments

  1. <3 <3 <3!! I enjoyed reading this post. I have also read Rebekah's post on Ruth, and my dad is preaching on her currently as well, so I've been reading/hearing a lot about her lately. ;) She certainly was a wonderful woman, and the book of Ruth certainly wasn't just a romance story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leona! That is wonderful your dad is preaching through Ruth! Keep learning always! :) Do you have a favorite woman in the Bible?

      Delete
  2. πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™ I really liked this! I really like Ruth. Esther's story is interesting too! By the way, I tried the backwards to do list, and plan on trying it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! I love Esther's story, too. That's fantastic! I hope the backwards to do list is working well for you!

      Delete
  3. Loved this!!! ������ To be honest, my favorite woman of the Bible is probably Ruth. Her story is so amazing! Us Christian women really need to adopt her example.She was so faithful and so strong, and God rewarded her with a good, godly husband and the privilege of having the great+ grandfather of Jesus himself! I'll have to go through and read the other article you mentioned and the sermon. ;)
    I'd love to hear about Deborah and Jael from the book of Judges. Their stories are interesting!
    I haven't watched your new YouTube video yet - I'll have to try to do that tomorrow!
    Who's your favorite woman of the Bible?
    Can't wait to see which woman is next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know why my computer turned the hearts in my comment into those weird looking question marks... Is that only on my computer or do they look like that on yours too??? Oh well. They're supposed to be hearts. ;)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, my computer shows your hearts as diamonds with a question mark in the middle... but that's OK. I'll just pretend they're hearts ;)
      Ruth is my favorite, too :) I also really like Dorcas's story in Acts 9, and of course, Esther. I hope you find the sermon and blog post helpful!
      Ooh, I forgot about Deborah! I shall have to add Deborah and Jael to my list of women to do :)

      Delete
  4. <3<3<3 Awesome post! Isn't it great that we can read about wonderful women in the Bible! I look forward to checking out the other article and sermon! My favorite women in the Bible is either Esther or Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Thank you so much for sharing the video! Great job! You are so talented! :) That was such a pretty piece!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you bunches, Anna! I agree -- I am so thankful we have the opportunity and freedom to learn about these wonderful women in the pages of Scripture. That is something to cherish!

      Delete
  6. (can't get hearts like yours xD) <3 <3 <3 I am SO excited you're doing this study!! And I LOVED this first one you did on Ruth! I loved the different points you brought out about her character and the way you made them more simplified, so that it's easy to apply those characteristics to our own lives :) Excellent article and I can't wait for the next one! :)
    And yessss loved your video, I could watch you play piano all day <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I was thinking when I put the blue hearts in, "Hmm, I don't know if many people are going to be able to do hearts like this..." xD ;) I'm glad you're so excited about this post and study, and I hope it will be a blessing to you!
      Aww, that's so sweet of you to say that! If ever we meet, you may end up regretting your last phrase there... it doesn't take much prodding to get me on the piano ;) And, ya know, I abide by the phrase "sit down and stay awhile" so... xD You might be subject to quite the concert! *inserts evil eyes* jk! How about I play while you sing? ;) (By the way did I mention that ONE OF THESE DAYS WE HAVE TO MEET EACH OTHER???!)

      Delete
    2. YESSSSS WE DOOOOOO! and I am one hundred percent looking forward to that concert xD Also I will sing if you sing too!! xD

      Delete
    3. Alright, deal... I will sing at the lowest volume possible ;) Haha. Now you just need to book a flight down here or something! xD Or I need to figure out a way to persuade someone to take me on a road trip :P

      Delete
  7. ������ I have the hearts!! :D You did a fabulous job with this study, Grace! I love the character traits you pulled out and focused on from Ruth's life. I don't know if I have a favorite woman in the Bible, but I'd love to see you write on Rebekah, Rachel, Leah, and I don't know who else yet :) It's funny you chose Ruth at this time, because I'll be in Ruth in my Bible reading in almost 2 weeks!
    And I LOVE, LOVE! the arrangement you played in your new video! I want that arrangement!! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the hearts and they showed up as diamonds with question marks :'( :'(

      Delete
    2. Aww, well maybe the three hearts idea wasn't the best xD But I know what you meant ;) I'll make sure to add those women to my list if they aren't already on there! Although at this point my list is growing quite long so I might have to shorten it or else I'll be doing this study for quite a long time! :P That's great that my article on Ruth corresponds so well with your Bible reading! Hopefully some of the resources in this post and in Rebekah's will be helpful as you read through Ruth.
      You know how you asked me if I had any arrangements on YouTube from the book My Savior First of All? Well, Morning Gilds the Skies was from that book! ;)

      Delete
    3. Oh, that is so neat! Thanks for doing that for me! :D A few more videos and I might be buying that book ;)

      Delete
    4. You're welcome! Well, next week hopefully I'll be videoing another arrangement from My Savior First of All for YouTube, so you'll be one step closer to buying the book ;)

      Delete
  8. <3 <3 <3 I am so excited for this series, I loved reading your thoughts on Ruth, she is one of my favorites! I love Ruth and Esther especially. :) Are you going to do one on Dorcas? ;)
    I can't wait to watch your newest video! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind, I just noticed the one you did on Dorcas, hahaha!

      Delete
    2. Haha obviously we were thinking alike there! ;) Dorcas is a very special woman-of-the-Bible to me. <3
      I hope you enjoy the video -- I'm getting ready to put up another this week, Lord-willing! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!