My Goals for 2019 + a List of "Hard Things" from 2018

Hey y’all!  Anyone that knows me knows that I am a hard-core goal setter, list-maker, and planner.  You can tell that just by reading my blog. :)  Brainstorming and making goals is one of my favorite things about New Year’s Day!  Today I’d like to share some of my goals with you.  Please feel free to ask me how I’m doing on them throughout the year – accountability is very important when it comes to goals!


- Upload 20 YouTube videos.
- Make a music video (or at least experiment with this).
- Save x amount of dollars.
- Explore creative money-making options from home.
- Start a younger girls’ Bible study.
- Get my hair cut/layered.
- Revamp room + donate/give away things.
- Write 5 hymn arrangements.
- Complete a list of 100 “hard things.”
- Read 10 books.
- Keep a box to collect gifts in for others throughout the year.
- Blog 60 times.
- Send more handwritten letters.
- Create a morning routine.
- Practice a consistent bedtime/rise time.
- Spend time outside daily/almost daily (weather-allowing)
- Spend at least 250 days in the YouVersion Bible app.
- Submit an article to a larger blog.
- Study + embrace the NEW (my One Word for the year).

Those of you who’ve been around the blog for a while may recall my Do Hard Things in 2018 post last year.  Do Hard Things was a revolutionary book for me, and this phrase sort of became my motto for the year.  I kept a list of some of the ‘hard things’ I did throughout the year.  I recorded almost 70 things; however, this is not an exhaustive list by any means, and there were some weeks I forgot to add to it.  I discovered, though, that there are TONS of ways you can practice doing hard things!  Here were a couple of mine...

- Went out of town without family (I was very nervous about this, although we know and trust the people I went with.  I overcame a lot of nervousness and worry.)
- Drove the truck (this was scary!  I’m used to driving relatively small vehicles so a large truck was not in my comfort zone. ;)
- Played 1st piano for church + sight-read without practice (this was a last-minute thing in which our other back-up pianist realized he had been double-booked and couldn’t play.)
- Cleaned my grandmother’s house/windows.
- Took the ACT.
- Reached out to a new girl.
- Played flute for offertory.
- Auditioned for + attended choral camp.
- Took a college-level Spanish class.
- Played games of kickball and softball (TOTALLY out of my comfort zone!).
- Wrote an arrangement with a guitar part.
- PLAYED an arrangement with a guitar part… on a keyboard.
- Skipped S’mores to walk with someone who needed help.
- Played a hymn arrangement of my own for church.
- Organized 3 youth vocal ensembles.
- Wrote thank-you notes for our church thanksgiving basket.
- Played for church while terribly sick… twice.

Now, some of these things may not seem that significant to you.  We all have different strengths and weaknesses, and these were just some things that took me out of my comfort zone or required my weaker areas to be stretched.  

I would encourage you to keep a “hard things” list this year, too.  At the end of the year, it will be a great reminder of how far you’ve come and how much you’ve grown throughout the course of the year!

Of course, if you have not read Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris, I would definitely encourage you to grab a copy and read it!

Some additional resources to check out:
18 Goals for the New Year from More Radiance.


What are your goals for 2019?
Are you going to keep a “hard things” list this coming year?
What are some of the “hard things” you did in 2018?
Do you choose a One Word for the year?

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading your goals! I read Do Hard Things a few months ago and loved it! It definitely made me want to do hard things too! Some of my goals for this year (I have a lot!) are graduate high school, publish a book, and get a nicer violin. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing some of your goals with me! Congratulations on senior year! I am sure you are very excited about being almost graduated. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!