Savor the Christmas Season

Hey y’all!  After reading 8 Ways to Slow Down This Holiday Season from my friend Isabella’s blog, Worth It All, and re-reading Savoring the Rest of the Season from Rebekah at More Radiance, I decided that I just have to add to the fun and make my own list of ways to savor the season, too! ;)  So let’s begin!

Image created using the YouVersion Bible app

Read a devotional plan.  I love using the YouVersion Bible app, because it allows you to make notes, highlight verses, read hundreds of fantastic devotional and Bible-reading plans, create unique verse images, and more!  If you’re not on the app, now’s a great time to create an account – there are tons of devotional plans just for Christmas!  There is also now an option for reading a plan with friends, which is great for growing together and keeping each other accountable.


Make homemade gifts.  There’s nothing like a homemade gift.  It speaks love in a way that nothing store-bought ever could.  This gift is not necessarily the result of money spent, but that of time.  Many people have a special craft niche, or at least the ability to make something if they are willing to learn and follow instructions.  Perhaps you love to bake or crochet, do fantastic calligraphy, or have an eye for photography.  Use your gift to bless someone is a very special way this season!

If you aren’t sure where to start, here are some DIY tutorials I’ve posted on the blog:

Wordless Book Bracelet (great to make in bulk for a kids ministry!)

Consider taking up a new art as a New Year’s resolution so you can make more unique things for next year!  One brother of mine is learning woodworking and makes the most beautiful centerpiece boxes.  We have gifted these with mason jars for flowers.  You can turn almost any skill into an avenue of creating homemade, handmade gifts!



Plan a sibling activity.  Whether your siblings are toddlers or adults, plan a fun activity together!  If you have an older sibling, go Christmas shopping or out for coffee.  For younger siblings, the ideas are limitless; bake breads and cookies, make ornaments out of Polymer clay, or decorate together.  If you drive, perhaps take your siblings out for a drive to see Christmas lights.



Have a quiet evening.  One quiet evening after you shower and get into your comfy PJs, make yourself hot cocoa, turn on soft lighting (candles, Christmas tree lights, etc.), curl up in a soft, freshly-washed blanket or your bed, turn on Christmas music, and read a good book or write a letter.  TOTALLY unwind.  Take in the moment.  Smell and feel your freshly-washed sheets, sip the steaming cocoa… simply breathe and enjoy!  S A V O R!



Decorate.  How about stringing Christmas lights, putting up a mini tree in your room, or at least displaying all your special ornaments?  I’d love to hear how you decorate, or what you come up with – please let me know in the comments below!  I’d love fresh ideas for my own decorating this year!
On this same note, I just did some decorating the other day and had a blast!  I’ve never decorated my room for Christmas before, so I’m super happy with how everything is turning out!  So far, so good…





Take photos.  I love taking pictures at Christmas time.  Last year I tried to take a picture every day in December, but although that kind of failed, the challenge is a good one.  There are lot of memories to be made and captured this time of year.  Keep your camera or phone nearby, ready to whip out and freeze the moment!  (BUT make sure you are still enjoying the moment and “being all there” as you take photos! ;)



Send Christmas cards.  Is it just me, or does it seem like practically nobody does this anymore?  Family Christmas cards with photos are cute and all, but nothing compares to a hand-written Christmas greeting in a handmade card!




Reach outside of yourself.  Look around: how can you spread hope and joy this Christmas season?  Think about those that others might not… the homeless man on the street, the unnoticed servant at church, the young child in a broken family.  How can you share the love of Jesus with them?
Related blog post: 8 Ways to Give This Christmas


How are YOU going to savor the Christmas season?




Comments

  1. I love how you have music notes hanging up! Christmas-y things I've been doing lately are baking candy cane cookies, decorating the house with my siblings as a surprise when my mom was out, and making cards with my sisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- my mom got me that music bunting last year, I believe, and I love it! And the white Christmas lights behind it just make me happy. :)
      That sounds like so much fun! Last year my youngest sister wanted to *help* make cards so I let her help me with the glue stick and sliding the paper cutter. She LOVED that!

      Delete
  2. I like these ideas, Grace! I might try some of them. Lately, I've been encouraging people, crocheting, & I've slowly been getting back into writing. Thanks for the ideas! :)

    ~ Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Hope! Those are great things to be doing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Yay, you reached the bottom of the page -- now it's time to comment! :) I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. Your comments make my day!